Auchentoshan

Alan McLean

Hi Alan

Hamish and I have now entered. I was not sure that we could enter in advance but I found the website http://www.entrycentral.com/index.php and it was comparatively easy. Now I just need to get my bike ready. Looking forward to it. I Understand that it is not knobbly tyres but tracks that are required! :lol:

James

• Committee

Well that was a splendid turn out today.

About seven Wheelers in the adult events and a few Jets, complete with base camp tent.

The course was a cracker, minor tweaks to last year ensured that all sections were ridable apart from the ravine. Some of the seniors even stayed clipped in up the big grassy bank, to much cheering and cowbells.

Great organisation from Glasgow United with PA all around the course so it was clear what was going on. This was good both for the riders and casual observers.

Much respect to James M who hauled his heavy MTB round again, time for a new bike James? :grin:

All this series needs now is frites van and beer tent.

Lapped only a few times, either I'm fitter or the courses are shorter.

A

Well that was a splendid turn out today.

About seven Wheelers in the adult events and a few Jets, complete with base camp tent.

The course was a cracker, minor tweaks to last year ensured that all sections were ridable apart from the ravine. Some of the seniors even stayed clipped in up the big grassy bank, to much cheering and cowbells.

Great organisation from Glasgow United with PA all around the course so it was clear what was going on. This was good both for the riders and casual observers.

Much respect to James M who hauled his heavy MTB round again, time for a new bike James? :grin:

All this series needs now is frites van and beer tent.

Lapped only a few times, either I'm fitter or the courses are shorter.

A

Here here! A race of attrition for me, today 2 weeks off from the bike felt like 2 years 30 mins in.

The support/ heckling on the climb from my clubmates made me smile and think of packing it at the same time :grin:

Same again next week :rockets

PS James, I have a lovely cross bike at a very sensible price which would suit you!

• 2023 Subscriptions

a shorter course would lead to more lapping not less, Alan. :smash

still, whatever, you lapped me at the foot of the climb as I had managed to get myself stuck in the mud bog trying a new route- don't! Stoooopid!

so glad I'm old enough for vets and only 40 minutes not kenny's hour Nothing's THAT funny !

duncan

All,

Despite my protestations at the end I really enjoyed the race and drove home with a smile on my face. Results as posted on the link below. I had a disastrous last lap (mechanical) so there was a wee possibility of a top 30 place which went a missing but maybe this is wishful thinking.

http://scottishcyclocross.hexten.net/SC ... lease1.pdf

Things I learned on the day.....

> I need to fully commit on the first lap or more appropriately ride as if I should be "committed", I only "rode" the ravine on the last lap;

> Be more forceful when overtaking especially those pesky mountainbikers;

> There is a general misconception amongst my club mates that I am eligible for the "vets" category - I know who you are :-?

> I could probably do with a few more gears;

> Even "cheapo" Campag wheels really do look the part 8-)

Well done to all who took part - I'll be back for more.

Davie

• Committee

Hi Davie

I agree with tips:

Get in first 20 at start otherwise you will be held up at the first bottleneck. It is very tiring to make the extra wee accelerations to pass people who are overall slower than you but started better.

Ride everything you can. Watching Mr Hardie et al. power up the grass bank was awesome and he gained about 5 secs every time.

Shout out (nicely) to slower riders to give you room to pass. It is very tempting to sit in for a hundred yards but the fast guys are leaving you further behind every second.

Watch the fast guys pedal ALL the time, then brake for shortest possible time.

Looking forward to back to back racing this weekend.

A

• 2023 Subscriptions
Hi Davie

I agree with tips:

Get in first 20 at start otherwise you will be held up at the first bottleneck. It is very tiring to make the extra wee accelerations to pass people who are overall slower than you but started better.

A

What are you saying about me?

• 2023 Subscriptions
Martin

I'm saying that you are a superb starter. Hello, beer !!Oh ya dancer !

A

So many back handed compliments! :grin:

It's true though. I'm doing alright at the starts, it's just the middle and the end of the race that I need to worry about. :oops: Really enjoyed Sunday's race, despite slogging it for most of the way. Obviously the day spent coaching on the Saturday took a lot out of me .... more so than the kids we were coaching, anyway.

Great to see so many yellow and blue in amongst the mud, both racing and cheering on from the sidelines.

Roll on next Saturday.

Mul