Erskine Century Ride 2008

KennyS

Sunday 3rd August 2008 is the date for this year’s Johnstone Wheelers Erskine Ride in aid of Erskine Hospital.

Entry will be £8 with all 'profits' going to Erskine Hospital

I have received confirmation today from Western Ferries (The Short Ferry Crossing) http://www.western-ferries.co.uk that they are willing to continue their fantastic support of this event in the form of a number of return tickets across the Clyde. ClappersClappersClappers

As such the route options for this year will be the same as the 2007 event taking in some of the quietest roads on the scenic Cowal Peninsula along with the option for some of the best climbs in the Central Belt

The main route for this year’s Erskine Century Ride will be Erskine Hospital direct to the Western Ferries at Gourock. Once on the Cowal Peninsula it will be Loch Tarsan, Loch Striven, Glendaruel, Strachur, Hunter’s Quay and back to Erskine Hospital (approx 80 miles)

There will be additional options en-route for those looking for that bigger challenge.

The first option is the steep climb over Ballochandrain to Otter Ferry and then the coastal road (B 8000) along Loch Fyne to Strachur (additional 6 miles)

The second option, on the return from Strachur, is the steep climb from the Whistlefield Inn on Loch Eck over Glen Finart to Ardentinny and then the coastal road along Long and the Holy Loch to Hunter’s Quay (additional 6 miles)

Of course the third option is to take in both Otter Ferry and Ardentinny, which would give a total of just over 90 miles for the ride.

A few notes:-

· It’s not a race. It’s a social ride

· As in previous years a Broomwagon will support the ride. You should, however, be confident of completing the distance unaided.

· The ride will be covered by Third Party Insurance through Everyday Cycling

· If you wish to raise sponsorship then official 'Erskine Century Ride' sponsor forms can be provided (David Jack of the JWCC raised £180 of the £700 total last year)

· Return-journey ferry ticket from Dunoon to Gourock is included in the entry fee.

· The routes may be run both clockwise and anti-clockwise depending on numbers

· It is planned to limit the number of entries to 150.

Tea and coffee available at the start with story telling, reasonably-priced snacks, and / or BBQ (weather permitting) 'til 6.00pm to raise further funds at the finish

On-line entry will soon be available through the Johnstone Wheelers website

For more details, contact Kenny Steele on 07879 890985 or by e-mail [email protected] with the subject heading Erskine Century Ride 2008

• 1 month later...

Online entry will be available from the morning of Friday 27th June on the following link http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/erskine-century-2008.php

My apologies for any confusion in posting this so far in advance but I'm going to be travelling over the next few days and wanted to maximixe the time for you all to get your entries in

sun shine has been ordered for this year 8-)

Cheers, KennyS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If carlsberg made cycle runs .......

this would be it,

Even I have committed to dusting off my bike and finishing another season with this glorious ride - in case you are wondering my season started with the Don Smith and I have been tapering ever since.

Help make this years Century one to remember.

see you all there.

:cry: sorry guys cant make this one , had planned doing it from hearing glowing last years report from a glasgow nightingale member!!!but unforunately, playing borders on sat 2nd and scone palace 3rd.. :shock: even at my speed, :lol: i prob wuddny make it.. gladly give you the eight quid as donation to a great charity.. will arrange withmr manson. Have a great one,, ian

Kenny I dont seem to be able to open the Erskine link for sponsorship forms and have tried their site for the same.Having just joined the ranks of the retired contributions are likely to be down on last year so the forms would be nice before I travel north on Tuesday.A retired Glasgow policeman called Taggart who is a member at my golf club has already donated.

I see that I must have stuttered when registering, did Paypal pay twice?

Hopefully there will be enough daylight for me to finish without lights, the bike has got a bit dusty this year, I did manage a 100 miles for a cancer charity over Exmoor three weeks ago but found the hills a bit hard.

See you on the 3rd

Dave :grin::grin:

A wee note for those arriving by car tomorrow.

Please use the car park at the entrance to the Hospital grounds (on the right hand side as you come off the roundabout)

Please do not use the Car Park adjacent to the Event HQ as the Garden Centre will be extra busy tomorrow with the good weather organised 8-)8-)

See you all tomorrow

Thanks, Kenny

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi

What a Cracker !!! Great route, the weather was ok and great company ( Bill, John, Davie and Davie) thanks guys.

sorry i couldnt have made it the BBQ time was running out for the start of my work.

Great organization Kenny. cheers.

cya

Greg

• 2024 Subscriptions

Echo that: great event by Kenny and team. Lots of nice touches and back room stuff that enhanced the event. Not sure about the mugs on the BC advert though :shock:

http://www.everydaycycling.com/edc/even ... _ride.aspx

Great wee bunch even though we were all a bit incontinent in the Cafe :oops:

Cheers

DG

Yes, good day had by all. There was a moment of grumpiness resulting from the torrential (is that exaggerating) rain from the ferry up to Tarzan (never seen Tarzan up there yet...) Dam.

This was relieved by the parting clouds over the Otter Ferry and the lovely view up the water!

Ardentinny was lovely, never having done it before!

Campbell and Campbell and everyone else with second names for first names and actual first names were great company, and demonstrated amongst other things supreme pie eating skills (Campbell) and an aversion to riding at a steady pace (Campbell). Work that one out....

Thanks Kenny for organising!

Guest DavieR

A great day, thanks to my fellow companions, young Greg ( KOM), Johnny " haud that ferry" Johnstone, Davie "the legend" Shaw and Bill "ride the legs aff ye" Thompson. Bill most certainly lived up to his nickname on Sunday, we had an enjoyable day, stopping at Strachur for tiffin and then off again with everything going well until Bill spotted a rider about half a mile ahead of us. All hell broke loose as Bill shouted, "attack, attack" some were immediately spat oot the back, when this was pointed out to Bill he said, "ach they know the way to Dunoon, don't they? The rest of us spent the next ten miles chasing Bill along the lochside at 25mph with oor tongues hangin oot.

Just as we entered the outskirts of Dunoon the guy ahead (who was aware Bill was after him) turned up a side street and rode into his garage! Bill, who thought the guy was on our run was fuming, he turns to me and says, "that was your fault for hauf wheelin me, and the guy isnae even wi us, whit were you thinkin aboot!!!!!!!!

We catch the ferry and the group ahead of us, and at the other side we then proceed to do the whole thing again all along the A8 until we get to Bishopton, where Bill says to me, "let them go, if we get to Erskine before them, they'll be awfy embarassed." Whit a guy, I don't know what he puts in his porage, but ah widnae mind some oh it.

A big vote of thanks to Kenny S for the organising and BBQ, Joyce for her never ending trips to fill the kettle for tea, and Bob Sharp for his pearls of wisdom and encouragemet all along the route in the broom wagon. Where do I sign for next year!

Thanks Kenny for organizing a great day and for the fantastic weather on the way out, but what was with the sun on the way back??!!! :shock:

Big thanks to Alan Yoeman for keeping me goin over the first 2 big climbs.

Loved the banter at strachur it was beltin! Quite surprised you remembered my name after around 4 years! Martin, Darryl and Kenny, great bunch of guys

Thanks!

Kenny

Thanks for a smashing day, even the weather smiled after a bit. Once again I really enjoyed being back in God's Country however briefly. I'll let you know how much the final total is when I have it all in.See you in next years.

Regards to all who helped make it such a success.

Dave :grin::grin::grin: