Auchentiber TT Course for comment

Guest Jim Daly

Guest Jim Daly

Anyone got an opinion on the following route for confined TT's?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /560490188

3 "give way" junctions

road level location

B707 98m Sunnyside Top of Hill

C Rd 94m North Auchenmade

C Rd 96m

C Rd 96m Lissens Moss

C Rd 96m Darmule

B778 88m

B778 83m

B778 88m

B778 85m

B778 83m Auchentiber A736

A736 84m B707

B707 85m

B707 98m Sunnyside

B707 94m N. Auchenmade C Rd

C Rd 96m

C Rd 96m Lissens Moss

C Rd 96m Darmule

B778 88m

B778 83m

B778 88m

B778 85m

Jim

Guest Jim Daly

Nearly two laps, only doing the Sunnyside climb once. Oh ya dancer !

There are other good options for intermediate distance of 7.5miles and 25 could be 4.5 laps, obviously. To minimise cornering the final run in could be arranged to overshoot along the A736 towards Burnhouse, or B707 towards Dalry.

I plan to test the route(s) (very slowly) on Saturday morning...

Sean, and all other members,

It was decided at the AGM to stop using the Westferry route on safety grounds, as a result we are on the look out for a suitable replacement. All suggestions welcome.

Davie Raymond

I think we should have some hilly TTs, e.g. on the Langbank to Houston course (the B789). This road has been resurfaced in the last couple of months. I remember it was used in 2005 and I thought it was a great course although the surface was crap then (not so now).

Also I believe the RNAD circuit at Beith has been used as a hilly TT course in the past although I think that was before my time with the club.

I recognise that most people probably prefer flat TT courses (seems to be the tradition in this country) but hilly ones can add a bit of variety.

Guest Jim Daly

70 mins from Clubhouse to Auchentiber circuit which happens to share a corner with the RNAD circuit.

That was taking it very easy into a 10-15mph head wind via Glengarnock and Barrmill.

Heading South West into the prevailing wind, the C-road rolls more than both the O.S. map suggests and I remembered.

Still easier than the slope to the roundabout on the Georgetown.

The slope up to just short of Sunnyside Farm is almost flat and the steepest part is short and easier than at the cottages on the Georgetown.

The B 778 was very quiet, has an excellent surface, and is very straight with hardly any upslope.

The two give way junctions per circuit have excellent visibility and could be taken at speed.

The route feels relatively safe.

It remains to be proved whether it is significantly faster, or more convenient, than the established course on A77 at East Ren. GC.

I'm all for Hilly TT's, by the way. Now, if we could just get the Johnstone By-Pass shut for about an hour every second week...

Appologies for not being at the AGM and offering opinion in retrospect......

I have full respect for the decision to not hold TT's on the Westferry on safety grounds having raced there in the past and had a couple of hairy moments. In this day and age the concept of "rush hour" does not really apply as there seems to be a constant flow of traffic no matter what time of the day (Monday to Friday) that it is.

Is it a feasible option however to hold confined events on a Saturday or Sunday morning when traffic volume should be reduced? I wouldn't imagine that it would be too hard to coordinate dates with open TT's in the area to avoid clashes and given that some open TT's are a considerable distance away this could provide an alternative to those who do not wish to or are unable to travel to them. Mixed in with some hilly TT's as suggested by Stevie and Tony this could actually provide a varied element to our championships that may appeal to a wider range of riders and even out some abilities. It would also open up the oppertunity to race for those who cannot make it along midweek due to other commitments.

Just a thought thrown out there to provide an option while trying not to confuse the issue :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2024 Subscriptions

Hello All,

just saw this thread whilst about to forward a message from Robbie Robertson of Glasgow Road Club. He suggested, because of poor turnout for JWCC and GRC confined TTs on the Georgetown, that we combine them - a joint promotion. Seems like a good idea - more bodies and a timekeeper! Who ever is sorting the confined calender, could you get in touch with him please. GRC have a website, or you might see him in Dooleys.

As for the topic of this thread, I agree that the Westferry is a bit hairy. I think Tony's suggestion is good - that course is great.

Not sure about the others - too far away for midweek. I think your numbers would be depleted - maybe.

What about a couple of laps of the old RR circuit that goes past Greenacres, down the (now not so) Rocky Road, left and left again and left at the crossroads. Er if you know where I mean - it's just up the bowfield.

I think it would be just as good as the one Jim mentions, but nearer. Just a thought.

Cheers

Darryl Gunson

• Members

Gateside circuit which is one Daryl is suggesting has been used very succesfully for both TT and RRs by club over the years.

We ran a medium gear event ( restricted gear) as a pipe opener over 2 laps , in March .

remember it well as it had a r/h turn . The apr next day started at Bird in Hand and followed same start followed by 4 laps of circuit and finished at Peesweep scout camp. >

back to TT we did a couple of 3 lap events later in season.

Its as safe a course as you can get nowadays, other option might be the APR course we use at Gateside which is very similar.

Kat likes the RNAD circuit as its near to 10 distance ( 9 miles) and is equaly safe and sporting and has been used on a few occassions over the years with good results.

Few folk have spoken about this as an idea , seemingly its pretty calm traffic wise on a saturday evening, i would defo be supporting this if races where to be advertised as open events.

Most TT's over the border are held late afternoon / evening has a plus with warmer/cool weather conditions too :grin:

Yes the 10's will be going ahead on the westferry on Saturday Evenings under the tli banner (3 events to start with), it is the time with the lowest volume of traffic and the Police are totally in favour of these events after being approached by the organiser(s), they have done it down South for years so they must be doing it for a reason!!

OR-

I might just stay in and wrap myself in cotton wool :grin::grin:

Cheers

Sean

• Members

The club will monitor the Sat. night events and canvass opinion from riders who ride events. I have been to many events down south where the roads are busier than Westferry A1 springs to mind. Its not the carriageway which offers problems its the turn. In events where you come off at a slip road onto a r/b and back down slip road onto op. carriageway its usually ok. Westferry has a busy r/b as its turn which proves a real problem even at quieter times.

Hope the events are a success, if not time trialling in West will slowly decline.

Given Kenny's point about the turn on the Westferry is it not an option to revert back to the old route that turns at the roundabout at the bottom of the Clune? At least then the worry of traffic approaching from behind at speed would be reduced as this section of road is hardly used anymore....

Kenny you are right,

but i think time trialling in Scotland will Slowly decline if we dont do something about it!

I agree with the westferry being the busiest course in the Scotland, but as you say down south the ctt events are held in the Saturday Afternoon, i have ridden at Andover in the Emergency Services Nationals at 4 in a Saturday afternoon with 120 riders, its the done thing down south.

I was never lucky enough to ride the Famous Dundee course in Scotland.

(just watch, the same guys who are stopping using the westferry/eglinton will be the first to enter!! ;-) )

cheers

Sean

• Members

Real mens racing in sub zero conditions, and we convinced ourselves it was good pre season training :rockets

no tri bars ,skinsuits,or fancy helmets :roll:

wooly shorts and Dooleys finest extra hot leg rub.

Unless you were an innovator like me and made your own :shock:

capsicum and baby oil, or on really cold days straight capsicum.

Which makes me recall a day when a well known scrounger borrowed the straight capsicum ( I used a bit the size of a pea for each leg) he applied a strip about six inches to both legs. Then went for a pre race pee :angryfire

dont know what was the funniest his inability to sit on a saddle :cry: or mega tartan legs :angryfire funnily enough he never borrowed my warm up balm ever again.Huddling under the trees in pouring rain was another memory of the Gateside circuit. :lol:

Regarding the West ferry debate.

Is there any reason we can't race the route West to East and back again as the Velo guy's do?

The risk on the current route seems to be crossing lanes for the turn.

If we move the turn at the current start point we solve that problem.