Arran Youthie

simon simpson

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'll be there - w/e of the 7th.

only have one pannier, so can't carry as much wine as simon.

Hello, beer !!

Got the chef's hat ready though!

I'm up for the overland rout, and here's a thought - why not buy the wine at the forward supply depot aka the coop in Tarbert? they've got a good selection, and it'll be easier to zip up loch strivenhead... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

There have been discussions regarding the route we take to Arran, there appear to be two schools one to take the Calmac route, ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick. The second to take the scenic route over Gourock to Dunoon, Loch Tarsan, Tighnabruaich then the ferry from Claonaig to Lochranza. By my reconning 65 to 70 miles? :shock:

It's a personal decision as the longer route may not suite everyone and when added to the miles we do while on Arran :roll: so we may end up with two groups meeting up at the hostel or should we all go as a club. I have no preference and am happy to go whatever route is decided on.

Please post if you have a preference for Ardrossan or Gourock, which ever we decide we can meet up at the clubrooms at 8.00am on Saturday 7th October

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Guys

I understand the urge to take the long route, after all it was myself that made the original suggestion a couple of years ago. I also remember the state most of us were in when we finally arrived after carrying all our luggage. There were quite a few of us nearly asleep before our dinner arrived. :smash:smash

My own preference is for the shortest route to the hostel and then the scenic ride (all the way around Arran, or just the half circuit). I think the other route would be a bit much for me just now. But irrespective of my own fitness, it is much better, I think, if we ditch the bags first, before getting the miles in. Think of poor old Simon!!

Anyway, as you've probably gathered, myself (and MvW) will be doing just that. Would be great if we all did likewise, but not absolutely necessary. Either way, I'm sure we'll all have a great time.

ttfn DG

• 2023 Subscriptions

choices choices

going overland via gourock, tighnabruaich etc is 75 miles to Lochranza.

johstone to lochranza via ardrossan is 49 miles.

add a lap of the island at what, 56 miles, and that gives a total of 105 (albeit some unladen)

even half an island, cutting over the string, would total 85.

so by that logic, the long road is a short cut :-? going that way we'll have plenty of time to get the tea on Hello, beer !!

c'mon boys, get the panniers on. we can do a lap or a half on sunday, and ride back via ardrossan on the sunday :lol: