Strathclyde Park 6th Nov 2016

Alan McLean

• Committee

Gonna be bigger than Fawkirk but colder.

Gooey grass, bombholey exit, red cinder hill, sweet singletrack, gravel arena and the lung smashing run up to the bridge, this course has it all.

Again this is well within reach of the bunch and makes great spectating esp from the bridge.

(Also probably the worst catering van on the circuit, they usually sell unidentifiable fried food to the undiscriminating punters at the amusement park. No falafel or couscous here.)

Getting properly beaten now the full BC season is on but loving it. See you there.

Paul,

Thee regularity of your mechanicals and wheeling and dealing in bikes and components makes Billy Mac's absence easier to bear....keep it up.

Checked the lap times for Alan M and he would have shamed most of the V40 field ...brillant stuff.

As for me my goal of going the season not being lapped and scoring in every round nixed....not a great day think I need one of these ...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/cyclocross/crux-pro-race/106288

If only they did one with a threaded BSA bottom bracket....

http://alanbike.it/en/cross-gravel/cross-race-pro-en/

• Committee

Wow, another record breaking day at Strathy with 650 entrants in bright sunshine on lovely course. a couple of tweeks from last year but all the leg-bending features remain.

The field was so big that the Juniors and Women have had to be split from the V50s and had their own race first.

Mike, James, Duncan and I flew the club flag in the V50s. about 65 starters.

The timing of the warm-up lap was so tight that we almost missed the start and I did not even have time to take off my warm-up tights. Let that be a warning to you all. I ended up having to go right through the pack on the first lap to assume my usual place of mediocrity. Some excellent shoulder barging on the singletrack while fighting to keep the best line. If you can't accelerate past then you don't get in.

Best part was at last, after many years, I had the legs and picked the right line to stay upright and ride the steep ramp up to the bridge, cheered on by the bonkers spectators. Later I joined said spectators and enjoyed watching many of the the younger guys trying and failing.

Dancing bananas to Paul and Davie in V40s, they will have their own tales but massive banana to Paul who killed two bikes and rode home on his (Duncan's) rear rim.

Lots of Jets there too but I am of such increasing age that the younger riders had all but finished by time of our sign on so we await a report from someone who was there.

CX is not really about the racing, it is the overall friendliness and social aspect that makes it stand out. The fun of standing with fifty others of all ages cheering on clubmates and foes alike is unmissable.  In the next few weeks we have other races to enjoy so contact one of the posters here if you want to know more.