Zwift

James Esus

I've mine set up to link with my son's Call of Duty game so I can shoot people that pass me on climbs. Problem is I keep running out of ammo.

Turbo effort is cotrolled to match climbs and descents and even drafting. Always someone to chase down. Good selection of workouts. Plus Paul Leavy sold it really well to me and he spent the time to get my computer working so feel I have to. Race series run too.

Hardly pointless when you get in too late to go for a run on the bike or the weather is terrible. Sometimes its nice to cycle and keep the legs spinning, work off excess holiday food and drink. Since I've been back from holiday work has been too hectic to get out on bike so some late evening spins on Zwift have been ideal. I'm fine on a turbo when in the group sessions in the clubrooms, but struggle with the boredom on my own. This has made it easier to motivate me to do a bit rather than lie on the couch. That's the biggest plus for me.

Billy, I get your point in terms of its use as a training aid without any structure to achieve specific goals, but as workout plans can be specifically prepared in Zwift to suit whatever your coach is directing I presume this would suit someone on a structured training plan too. The form of sufferfest workouts can also be replicated on Zwift. Bkool is another option too. Again at cost.

I find it more useful than going out on the bike when the weather is atrocious which would mean more time cleaning than riding if I only have an hour. I initially found it a pain to set up but have now got used to the set up. TO get the best out of it there is a lot of learning. In that respect it is not as easy to use as a sufferfest which you do not want if like me you are time pressed. Regarding Billy's point the power output file is flatter than the file recorded for a mass start road race i.e. more like a time trial type effort as the slope on most turbos does not allow for the type of accelerations required in bunch racing. In my opinion this is very hard to replicate on an indoor trainer even with sufferfest videos unless that is you happen to be in the enviable position to afford an uber turbo worth 1000 or more. However a lot of the group rides incorporate sprint efforts and intervals which allow for adaptation to this type of effort. Also in terms of specificity - I find it great in terms of helping with positioning in a bunch / preparing for obstacles (corners start of climbs etc.) I also like the fact that you have instant feedback on your normalized power output and effort level (in comparison with riders from all over the world) so that aspect is very useful. Downside is that they haven't found a way to ensure that riders are not lying about their weight ! as when using ant + it works on the power to weight ratios for riders so if you have a higher absolute power output (unlike me) you will be faster on the flat. Ross - see the following for more info

http://zwiftblog.com/

• 2023 Subscriptions

Lots of good things about Zwift, only negative is the price. Billy you can create custom training for you customers link to training peaks with Zwift now. Plus you can ride this bike, it's almost as nice as Chungs Colnago. Give it a try... I think we should start having a club race night for Zwifters :). Zwift kept me motivated last winter and I put in nearly 2000km on it so far, which for hating sitting on a Turbo... speaks for itself

tron.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

So as I have a powermeter can I use this on any old turbo?

Will my 5 year old laptop be able to handle it? If not, can I do it on my ipad?

I don't get the problem with wifi so many of you report. Is this specific to Zwift? I ask as I don't have an issue getting wifi in my garage.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Your not getting my point , directly asked if it was good for training and my answer is still the same if it's not structured it's just riding your bike indoors .

If structured and we animated pictures motivate you then good, but so far nobody has stated that they do structured training on it so it's just a screen with a bike on it

• 2023 Subscriptions

Get your point Billy, and totaly agree, Zwift offers lots of structure training programs which can connect with your training peaks account(if you want)... see image below(not all of them listed) One of the good parts is visual gates(graphics) for each effort and on screen guide to make sure you are in the right zone. Give it a try, it would be good to get your input/opinion on the quality of the training programs offered.

FTP-1024x640.jpg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Not against it it looks like fun , and if used as part of a structured training program it would be great , I have new very smart trainer coming so might try it but still like planning and doing my own thing

Got my brake fixed just a sticky cable so if you need the bike it's yours for tomorrow