Glasgow - Edinburgh...a big belter of a ride!

• 2023 Subscriptions

5.00 a.m. alarm, crawl out of bed quietly to get to Glasgow Green for 06.15 and a 06.45 start, sporting the JWCC blue and yellow colours, 115 miles (3 miles added due to missing a turn) and over 2,300 metres climbing later completed in 7 1/2 hours, tired and sore! First few miles up Stewarton Road thinned the riders out effectively, however from there all the way to Muirkirk and beyond a strong south-westerly head wind was in play, bit of a 'blow' having to pedal hard downhill! Up and over transmitter hill and several other impressive uphill challenges all unknown to me before today eventually destroyed the legs, a long solo day became as much a mental as physical battle. That said, the downhills are fast, too fast for me...oh yes, the sun shone brightly for much of the ride too! Well organised and signed, even with my self inflicted orienteering mishap, enough feed stations to bring to mind the saying "an eating contest with a bike ride attached'!

....Done it now, however to be honest unlikely to do it again.