Best local ride in the sun?

Alan McLean

• Committee

After a brisk renfrew bunch yesterday I rode back from West End to Kilmacolm today in scorchio conditions. Dreamy ride along Kelvin Walkway, picked up canal at Maryhill all the way to bridge then Bishopton, west glen, home.

Canal boats, swans, fisherman, tailwind, even Clydebank Shopping Centre looked exotic in shimmering heat. Nice surface, signposts, loads of walkers and cyclists so slow but I was not in a rush. Off road from great western road to Erskine.

I see temp is forecast to drop about 10deg by weekend, really going to miss this.

• 2023 Subscriptions

I saw no mention of your local jaunt in The Sun. I bought it especially so was quite disappointed. 

There was a story on Scottish people and their love of deep fried mars bars and 16 pages devoted to the Engerlund  football team though.

Oh and Kim Kardshian bought a pie in Greggs. Apparently.

• Members

Canal boats, swans, fisherman, tailwind, even Clydebank Shopping Centre looked exotic in shimmering heat. Nice surface, signposts, loads of walkers and cyclists so slow but I was not in a rush. Off road from great western road to Erskine.

Try the other branch of the canal sometime, from Maryhill to Falkirk. Once you get through Lambhill there are more fields than houses. There's nice views of the Campsies to the north, and The Stables at Kirky serves good food if you fancy a cafe/pub stop. The towpath has been resurfaced all the way to Auchinstarry. Perfect for pottering on your winter bike (though admittedly not much use for a commute to Kilmacolm.) 

• Committee

yes canal path is brilliant for full on road bikes until middle but then it goes a bit 35mm tyre only. Also the path takes sharp dips with blind corners under the bridges which is fine if you are on the LH side eastbound cos you can only fall onto the verge but west bound riders must watch out or the canal beckons.