Super Quaich Round 4 Dig in at the Dock

PaulL

• 2023 Subscriptions

I was really looking forward to this race(kind of) and after a few practice laps it seemed a great course. David C, Davie B and Alex B and myself were in the B race, Alex and Davie B were gridded due to some strong performances this season. It was a good start an the Wheelers well positioned, Davie B may have even got the "hole shot" . On  the first lap we came to a long cobbled lane, this is where Davie B was taken down by a rider who had slipped on the cobbles, I saw the photos of the crash and it looked bad, what followed was a stramash behind and I was taken down, chris boardman can stick his advice where the sun doesn't shine about helmets, as I would have cracked my head on the cobbles without one(bring on Flanders eh). Delaireur broken! Race over for me :( ... I met up with the guy(broken wheel and derailleur) who crashed into Davie and we thought he had taken me out, he was very apologetic about ruining my race and even bought me a coffee, it wasn't until I saw the photos I realised it was Davie he had taken down(I owe him a coffee) :)

I watched the rest of the race and Davie B was going great at one point he was in fifth place, Alex and David C had a little battle going until Alex took a load off places back in last lap. It was a great event and the wheelers looked very strong, I would have like a few more laps but hey That's Cyclocross!

Paul,

Absolutely no luck with your day the guy that caused the stramash owed you more than a coffee - I had a front row seat, anyways......

I claim the "hole shot" but then I had to slow down a bit as I didn't know which way to go!

Had a fun first lap making an effort to keep in the top three and was actually pretty OK sitting there, was 3rd running down the cobbled section for the 1st time behind somebody who obviously, though he was in the "B" race of the Super Quaich, had some delusions that he could do a Boonenesque bunny hop onto the side section, with the result that back end was lost and man and machine blocked the entire track in front of me, I went over his bike and over my handlebars - could have been a bad one but just got up and carried on losing umpteen places that I quickly made back. Sitting at home now I am actually a bit sore legs, arms and shoulder but I consider it to be a lucky escape. I had the distinct impression when I picked up my bike that there was a wheel independent of frame just behind me so I don't know if his entire bike was gubbed but may be figment of my imagination.

I was (upper) top 10 all race but for an absolutely rubbish last lap and a bit, still think this was mostly man but on washing the bike discovered that for the nth time this season my upper jockey had all but seized which probably didn't help. Wiggle order for ceramic bearing jobs already placed as I have had my fill of the bush style ones.

Great course at the Dock and a rare chance to be in at the sharp end at the start. Great to see the Wheelers out in force once again.

Volgas