Callander Park CX Oct 11th

alexb

Had a baptism of fire into my first cyclocross race today in Falkirk. A beautiful route with only one carry the bike section but plenty of off camber action, slippy climbs and knarly roots to deal with ( still no 8 foot barbed wire fence Couttie ).

Travelled up with Paul Leavy and David Cathcart and met Davie Borland there too so a decent showing of JWCC colours with a few of the younger JWCC in the ladies race too.

By the time we arrived at the start line we found ourselves right at the back (95-100) but David C ended up at the very back (about 110). First lesson is to get nearer the front of the grid!

The starting gun fired. We waited a good 20-30 seconds from the gun until our section started moving. And then the real chaos starts. Leave any gap on any corner (or straight) and someone sticks their wheel in. Up to 87th by the time I cross the line to start the first real lap.

From the line it's a flat sprint around a gravelly right bend onto grass before hitting a 25-30 degree, lumpy slope hoping momentum carries you upward, but with 20 bikes all aiming for a 3 bike wide turn it ends up as a dismount and sprint up the hill and around a tree to remount for the descent. Thankfully the group spreads out quickly and I don't have this problem on other laps.

More uphill grassy/muddy thrashing before a sharp descent, and another sharp turn before the stair climb. Dismount, sprint, remount and a lot of up and down, energy sapping muddiness before the zig zag. A series of 6 off camber steep slope 180 degree turns. Loads of crashes here with the tyres giving way at the slightest push. This, for me, was the hardest part of the course.

Progressed lap on lap from 87th to 73rd to 68th to 62nd and then back down to 66th. By the final few laps the race has really spread out and I'm not gaining, just hoping to keep the riders behind at bay. Passed the line to be shown 2 laps to go (my best lap time 6:39). Knackered. There is no bunch to grab a breather in and with 40psi tyres it felt like I was riding on flats. Behind me I heard the bell signalling last lap. Never been so happy to be lapped! Even happier at the chequered flag at 67th.

Took a while to decide if I enjoyed it or not. I definitely prefer road cycling, but as a tough work out over the winter months cx is right up there. I just need to remember to get to the start in plenty of time.

Cheers to Paul L for the Belgian beer. Went down a treat!

• 2023 Subscriptions

post-3986-0-73978500-1444598611_thumb.jpg

What a brilliant day out, We definitely messed up starting at the back... I stayed close to Alex for the first laps but slowly drifted backwards after my heart rate went through the roof. Had a few spills trying to make up some time on technical bits(but I am OK Couttie, so no need to worry), Finished 94 Ya-a-aawwnnn  but enjoyed every bit if it now that I am drinking a Belgian beer watching the pros do it! Well done to Alex and David on their first CX race. Great to see David B, Emma and Jessica M(Jets) who took 3rd  place in her race! 

Roll on next weekend for more punishment

No disrespect intended Iain, but there were no cows to avoid, no 6 foot high bracken fields to ride through, no 8 foot barbed wire fences to climb, and most of all - there was no darkness. I don't think your training is specific enough (or perhaps too specific!)

Hadn't appreciate how important the start position is, but got it now.