Att'n Arran Attendees.

Dougie Da Rosa

Can I have some feedback please on whether you would like to catch ferry at 12.30 which would allow riding to Ardrossan but due to time would not allow time to ride round island,or taking some cars to ferry at 9.30 and riding round island. I am easy but would prefer to ride round island,so at a push if we dont have cars then I would ride to ferry too.Does that make sense? :?

Dougie,

There is a reasonably good train connection via Paisley and Johnstone to the Ardrossan ferry terminal.

Dont have the timetable with me but imho a better option than taking cars and I would like a pedal round the 9island on Saturday coz I may not be too fit on Sunday !!!!!

Ian,the first train to Ardrossan is at 11.15 from Glasgow on saturday.It connects with ferry mentioned previously.Are bike numbers not limited on trains these days?unfortunately as it is now winter timetables for trains and feries we are a bit limited for times which limits our riding time.Harry Lambie reckons we leave B.I.H. at 9.30 for 12.30 train,arrive in Brodick,dump gear then ride over Strang before chillin' out in hotel.Sunday is a pain as we need to get 12.30 boat as next one is 16.30 and will almost be dark then.

• 2023 Subscriptions

hi there

if riding down to ardrossan and back stopped us getting in a lap of the island i'd be a little disapppointed - isn't that the point of going?

So, don't want to stir things up, and appreciate that not everyone will have access to a car they can leave at the ferry for the weekend, but would anyone else be up for catching the 09:30 boat and then doing a lap?

I've got space for 3 others, and three bikes, in my car. we can meet the superfit dougie and johan down there. :wink: Any thoughts?

m

Its 22 miles to the ferry terminal from Johnstone, so if anyone wants to join me at the BiH on saturday, I'll be leaving at 8am sharp. I think the beer tastes much better after a lap of the island :D My mobile is 07973 282927 if anyone is running a few minutes late or is intending to join by car at the terminal. Also Dougie, could you take a note of my number and let me know yours, so I can find out where you all are and catch you later? I should be back in Brodick by about 3ish, at Mac's bar getting pishhed on arran blonde :P

As I remember doing the 2 string roads and back from Brodick is under 40 miles, so there will be time for that before catching the 1230 on sunday (if our heads are ok to get up in time!)

Looking forward to a great weekend

SD

================================

Johnstone-Ardrossan Ferry Terminal by bike

Acc. Dist Route Directions

0.0 0.0 B789 Johnstone, Rens

Follow signs Paisley, Glasgow Airport, Houston B789

0.3 0.3 A737 Junction with A737

At roundabout take 1st exit (signposted Irvine) to join A737

5.6 5.3 A737 Roadhead Roundabout (Junction with A760)

Take 1st main exit (signposted Irvine, Beith) In 1.2 miles at Clerksbridge Toll Roundabout take 2nd exit

7.6 2.0 A737 Junction for Beith Town Centre

Forward (signposted Dalry, Irvine)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9.0 1.4 A737 Manrahead Roundabout

Take 1st exit

11.8 2.8 A737 Highfield

13.2 1.4 A737 Dalry

Turn left (signposted Kilwinning)

17.3 4.1 A738 Kilwinning

At traffic signals turn right A738 (signposted Ardrossan, Stevenston)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18.7 1.4 A78 Pennyburn Roundabout

Take 2nd exit A78 (signposted Greenock) In 0.2 mile at roundabout forward

19.3 0.6 A78 Junction with B752

At roundabout take 2nd exit

19.5 0.2 A78 Junction with A738 (edge of Stevenston)

At roundabout take 2nd exit

21.9 2.4 A738 Junction with A738 (edge of Ardrossan)

At traffic signals turn left A738 (signposted Town Centre)

22.5 0.6 A738 Ardrossan

Forward (signposted Car Ferries) In 0.2 mile over level crossing

22.9miles 0.4 A738 Ardrossan Harbour (for Arran Ferry)

You have reached your destination.

dougie its probably best we get transport to arran in the morning then go a run roon the isle?

either get the train over or arrange with some1 who is willing to give people a lift.

can somebody let me know what every1 is doing .

im easy to be honest and dont mind cycling to the ferry terminal.

so are people up for 1 cycling to arran?

2 getting the train?

3 getting a lift?

who is doing what?

cheers stevie

• 2023 Subscriptions

hi there

now two spaces left for a hurl to ardrossan (ian manson got his email in first).

anyone else want to join us, please drop me a line - first come first served.

happy to arrange a meet or pick up on saturday (and I'll even bring you home afterwards

Guest Alfredo Binda

Whats all this stuff about NOT cycling to Arran and getting the train or car? We've left for Arran loads of times from the B&H at 9:30am and have easily managed to ride round the island.

Why don't we leave from the B&H as one bunch and remain as one bunch for the whole weekend instead of splitting up into wee groups?

Timetable is at http://www.calmac.co.uk/winter-arran-timetable.html

Ferry leaves at 9.45 or 12.30.. frequency of ferries looks a bit crap... CalMac must be cutting back on this route Alfredo.. is it only CalMac that operate to Arran? If these are the only times, it still looks like an 8am departure from johnstone. I know this is a bummer, I was hoping for a good night out on the friday too. :idea: Come on guys, lets cycle together from zee bird

SD

Guys,further to Scott's message he mentions riding along A737.Is it just me or is that not a great idea as that road is a bit of a bummer at the best of times?Darryl and Alfredo,have you guys rode to ferry before and if so how long did it take?and would we be safe leaving at 8 for 9.35 boarding?Harry is planning on making 12.30 boat as he is out on friday night and doesn't fancy an early start,and will meet us on island.Dougie.

• 2024 Subscriptions

For what it's worth, here is my view as to what we should do. :?

1. We should try and stay as a bunch for the whole outing, with the proviso that Harry will meet us on the island. It's just more fun (and easier cycling) that way :D

2. We should go for the 9.45am ferry to maximise our time on the island. :D

3. How to get there? Car if you wish, but if, like me, you want to cycle to Ardrossan, then I suggest leaving a bit earlier than 8am. The reason for this is that the 'safer' route (alternative to the A737) may take longer than 1.5 hours (at tourist pace). But more importantly, after Sunday's run, we all know how important it is to leave enough time to mend a puncture or two or three or.... :roll::lol:

I therefore suggest that we make it 7.30 at the bird, just to be on the safe side.

4. There are many ways to get to Ardrossan, but the route I favour is throught Lochwinnoch to Kilbirnie and then on the B780 to Dalry where we go over the moor and drop down into the port.

This is pretty much what I will be doing on Saturday morning

cheers

Darryl

darryll i agree with you.

im up for this idea and it sounds the best way too.

whats the point of going to arran where people are just going to split up different directions etc

as its getting nearer to the weekend can we have people's final say to how

they are going to get to arran????

ill be at the b&h for 730!!!

get this organised NOW so we dont have any confusion over the weekend and try and make it work as a bunch and part of the club.

stevie

team!!!

ive just spoken to dougie del a rosa the king

we have came to an agreement that we ,

1-stevie blom

2-darryll mcgunson

3-dougie da rosa

4-scott donaldson

5-?

6-?

7-?

8-?

will be leaving the b&h at 730!!!!!!!

i will call mark whitehead and find out if he is joining us with craig leckie.

dougie will get a hold of big harry and make plans where will meet him along with ian manson , martin mullholland.

anyone got any problems with this please let us know.

as we will be leaving at this time its going to be possible that it will be dark , therefor i have high power lights , dougie said he also has lights if need be.

so if possible if other riders can take lights with them.

cheers stevie

Right thank Ugo for that!! :wink: (Ugo De Rosa that is,GOD).We are sorted. :o 6 riders leaving B in H at 7.30,meeting Martin and Ian at ferry,(Mark Logan coming along for ride?).Big Harry will meet us on Arran later.I knew we would get there eventually.Dont forget your speedo's if you want a swim or a sauna!! :D

ALL ARRAN ADICTS

HAVE A GREAT TIME LADS AND WHATCH OUT FOR THE LOCHRANZA WOODWASP THAT LIVES IN THE DESTILERY. IT CAN GIVE YOU A RIGHT SORE HEAD IF YOU GET TO MANY BITS OF ITS FAVORET FOOD THE NIPY SWETTY. THE ORMADALE PUB/HOTEL INBRODICK HAS SOME GOOD MUSICE AND SOME FINE BEERS.

CAMPBELL

Hope you all have a good one. Wish I was coming too - put my name down for next time. If you can't agree on where to eat on Saturday night (and after reading all the posts above I think this is fairly likely!! :? ) the Brodick Bar is a good bet (it's up the wee side street behind the chinese take away opposite all-days). Not the cheapest in the world but fantastic grub. They've got Arran blonde on tap while you wait for a table (and on a Saturday night you'll need to).

Enjoy

Stephen

PS If you go round twice I'd be keen to know which way round you think is best. I went round anticlockwise this Easter (solo) and nearly had to pack it in on the Soutern half. The last hill between Lamlash and Brodick was awful :cry: