Club Run Sunday 29th March Aberfoyle

chung

• Life Members

Hi All,

Call me stubborn, but I'm kind of obsessed to get to Aberfoyle. :-) This is the planned route from 2 weeks ago but never quite managed it so I'm planning on doing it again. Hopefully this time we'll get there!

9.00am Clubroom Start

Johnstone - GT Road - Bridge - Dumbarton - Bonhill - Cycle Route 7 - Croftamie - A809 to Dryman - "Pipe Track" - Gartmore - Aberfoyle - A81 > Port of Menteith - Right Turn onto B8034 > Arnprior - Kippen - Fintry - Crow Road - Lennoxtown - Strathblane - Bridge - Johnstone

My re-estimate of the route would be approx. 80-ish miles door to door (then again, I could be completely wrong in that) Obviously, there'll be a cafe stop for sure either at Aberfolye but most likely Lennoxtown, can decide on the day or depending on arrival time :-)

There'll be a few long climbs involve but all very manageable on quiet-ish roads :-)

There are bail out options along the route for anyone who don't fancy doing the whole thing. Paul C had indicated that due to time constrains, he'll take alternative route after Croftamie so if folks are in the same boat or just want a shorter run, then it's do-able!

It would be great to have a few wheels to follow, so ALL are welcome & we'll ride as a "Bunch", so sign up for so fun & explore the "darker" side of the Clyde :-)

Let's hope the weather is as good as yesterday - minus the wind of course!

Cheers

Chung

Chung/Paul

I will join you Sunday as will AndrewD and Peter.  Due to a variety of reasons, none of them very good, we haven't been out much over the winter and are fitness constrained rather than time constrained.  In any event we're very unlikely to do the full 80 miles and will turn right at Croftamie and head for home rather than Drymen.  A wee detour through Mugdock would give us a café stop.

See you Sunday.

Allan   

• Life Members

Hi Allan, Andrew & Peter,

It would be great to see you 3 out on Sunday, even though it "might" be a bit damp :-) no matter, just have to wear appropriate clothing!

Here's hoping for better weather on the day!

Looking forward to Sunday 9am at the clubroom.

P.S Remember the clock goes forward this Sunday, so one hour less sleep :-(  on the bright side, no muddies ;-)

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Tam, it would be good to see you tomorrow!

I'll most likely to stay on the North side of the river on the return leg, so will not be heading back to Johnstone.

Are you planning on driving to Johnstone?

What about if you cycled to & meet us at the South side of the bridge, say 9.35ish?

That way you don't have to drive but still get enough km in your run!

Anyway, see you tomorrow :-)

Cheers

Chung

At Croftamie 5 of us headed back to the bridge. We decided to skip the cafe stop as were cold and damp.

Just as well cos the weather turned nasty just as I got home about 13:20.

Felt better than last week even with the substantial beer consumption of yesterday evening!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks for the run, guys and waiting for me after most of the hills. After coffee and cake in Drymen, I headed back the way we came - home about 1:45 with about 60 miles under my belt. Took a while to warm up again after the stop due to everything being wet, but only had one more short shower to endure.

Easter egg hunting next Sunday, so see you in a couple of weeks.

• Life Members

A rather wet & windy run today, but the route & company made it a lot better & "enjoyable" than it should!

Got to the club room this morning with not much expectation due to the weather forecast, but still to be met by 6 fellow Wheelers in the shape of AllanM, Andrew, Boyd, Paul C, Peter & Martin. The 7 of us made our way to the bridge whereupon Tam was waiting for us.

Our bunch was swelled to 9 when Big Ronnie Chard joined us near Bowling who was out on one of his daily 150km run

As Paul said earlier, we split into 2 groups at Croftamie where Roninie, Martin & Myself headed to complete our intended Aberfoyle route.

Boyd choose to enjoy a cuppa at the "Pottery" in Dryman before heading home!

It was good to catch up with some of the guys on the earlier part of the run, hope everyone got home safely.

At this point, we were joined by a few Velos who were also heading to Aberfoyle, a wee cafe stop and the 3 of us made our way to Port of Montieth & the rest of the route.

Through to Arnprior, Top of the World & into Fintry before we climb the Crow road. The weather throughout was a constant mixture of wind, light rain, heavy rain & a bit of sleet just for good measure. I really did regret taking my muddies off, my bum was totally soaked & cold - not a great feeling at all.

Crow road was cruel today for me, thanks to Ronnie & Martin for waiting! At least Martin enjoyed his first time on the Crow, now he only has to do it from the other side

A swift decent into Lennoxtown, Strathblane, Milngarvie then the sweetens of Glasgow for our second cafe of the day .......... Sweet

The final return home was totally horrible as the strong head wind couple with a constant uphill ride up the A77 was not fun at all, well at least I was heading home!

155km (5 miles short of a hunner) by the time I got home, it felt a lot more in these weather for sure, I am goosed!

Anyway, again thanks for the wheels & company today, and I got to do the whole proposed route for the second time asking.

I'm glad I went out & it was very enjoyable given the circumstances!

Cheers

P.S Hope to see youse all again next Sunday

Chung