Tom Anderson Memorial Masters Road Race

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

Tom Anderson Memorial Masters Vets Road Race On Sunday 28th September still has 5 places available.

Although the online entry is not closed I registered with Craig Moffat at

[email protected]

Anyone else fancy this last RR if the year?

Best wishes

Andy

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great race today, pretty lively for end of season with an average of 24.6 on my computer at finish including the 3 mile neutral zone through the town. From my point of view, happy after a disrupted last month with leg issue. Andy making rapid progression and finishing in main group after a fast race where a big chunk of the field got dropped. Colin was not on a good day and suffered with the criterium type racing with 11 laps of a modified circuit of 5 miles.

This race was dominated by 4 teams, 3 of whom had strength in numbers and the 4th whilst only having 3 riders had all options covered with sprinter, big diesel and bigger diesel. These teams worked events until a break went up the road with their riders, ie any break that did not have their riders was chased back. Fair enough. Bunch ended up going for 8th. I was 18th, Andy a few behind to be confirmed.

Anyway makes me really look forward to next season when we will have a much enhanced RR team with the addition of Alan McB and Richie P. Gives us the possibility to manage races in a similar way.

So if you ever wanted to commit to a season road racing now is the time, the base work has to start November.

Perhaps coach Billy could accommodate the RR team testing on one Tuesday night so we could talk about training over the winter etc could make an interesting discussion, old black book techniques v level 3 coach modern techniques,

Bring it on. And bring it on LBL too.

Good report Paul and well done to you and Andy who was in fine late season form. I had been really looking forward to this one as I'd been going well and seemed to be finding some form and consistency. Unfortunately think it was a race too many for me today as although pace was high over first three laps it shouldn't have been a problem. Possibly went off a bit too ard and never properly recovered from the initial surge of attacking. Good idea re winter training and also looking forward to next season.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great race reports from Paul and Colin. This was a hard race with 11 laps and 5 corners giving 60 intervals never mind the repeated surges and attacks throughout the race. Wind was a big factor in the race with head, side and tail winds determining a need to race smart. First three laps were fast with teams trying to establish a break early on. I felt confident after efforts to close down breaks in Rothesay last week. The main challenge was to keep something back. Finally one group got away around lap 5 and that settled things for a couple of laps before attacks started going off again. Last two laps were the hardest. Lap 10 turn into the wind was hard with echelons forming right across the whole road. Just managed to hang on. A feeling of dread was forming for Lap 11 turn. As my stomach predicted the same turn saw me come off the back. Managed to get back on to bunch for a short rest before sprint at end. Not my best place this year but without doubt my best rest. Lots of good advice and strategy from Paul.

Would like to echo Pauls proposal for organising RRT testing. Good to get anyone interested in RR next year together early on to create some energy and drive into next years season.

Andy