West Lothian Clarion Battle of Black Loch

Colin McPhee

There was a large entry of 80 riders for this race which I'd entered as I can't manage WOSCA race next week. All started well enough and was feeling comfortable at the end of the first long climb up to black loch. The pace was fairly high on the descent from the Loch into the tight wee left hander where the course became more rolling. This caused the bunch to string out and I was miles from the front at this point (not so good). However didn't panic and just got on with things Then came the short sharp climb on the back end of the circuit. Held on well here also until a crash in front of me saw a split in the bunch a few riders in front which I wasn't quick enough to notice. I chased back on however and managed to bridge across. So ended lap 1. As lap 2 began I realised on the next ascent up to Black Loch that I'd pretty much emptied my tank by loitering around too much at the tail end of things instead of battling for position more into the climbs. So as the ascent began I felt the elastic snapping and just had to soldier through the remaining laps catching many others who had been caught out behind the crash earlier. However felt I was getting stronger as the course continued. Well done to Lewis Mulholland on 3rd overall and I think 1st junior as well. A good course this one and very well run. Look forward to the reports of Wednesdays race which I won't manage. Good luck to all riding.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Cheers for race report Colin. It's good to find out more about what happened than the typical 16-year old's grunted feedback ;-)

All Lewis told me was that another guy jumped with 1km to go, he went with him and then round him. Couldn't quite hold off the chasers though and was pipped at the line.

Still, 2 envelopes for 1st jr and 3rd made for a decent outing to West Lothian. Happy lad.