7th Edition of Blackwood/Peebles and back 100 Run - 15/6/14

Dennis

7th Edition of Blackwood Peebles and back 100 Miler – 15 June 2014

Come and enjoy a ride with a Royal Albert bunch on the beautiful Borders roads…

Meet at Blackwood School car park – Southfield Road from 8.30am

(Coming into Blackwood from the north, turn left at Blackwood Cross into Southfield Road, car park on the right after 100 yards)

Leaving 9am sharp.

Lunch at Scots Pine Café, Eddleston

Post-Run grub - soup, teas, coffees, cake etc at ‘Morag’s Café’ at 4 Vere Road, Blackwood.

The only charge for the day is for your own lunch at the Eddleston café stop.

The whole point of this social run is for the bunch to keep together, and for the stronger riders to help and encourage the others. No shooting off the front . An exception is the Wiston/Rigside climb, with 13 miles to go, when any dry powder can be converted into a free-for- all, before re-grouping over the top at Rigside. We then ride back to Blackwood as a group, fresh as a daisy and ready to enjoy the delights of ‘Morag’s Café’.

Another benefit of this run is to learn how to pace ourselves over such a long distance, which develops this skill for long races or sportives.

The route: - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/436252890

Blackwood, Boghead, Lesmahagow, Coalburn, Fockerton Mill, Sandielands, Crookboat, Carmichael, Tinto, Thankerton, Biggar (30 mls), Skirling, Blyth Bridge, Meldons, Eddleston – lunch at Scots Pine Café (50 mls). Peebles, Cademuir, Lyne, Stobo,Rachan Mill, Brooughton (70) Kilbucho, Boghall, Hartree, Symington, Wiston, Rigside (90 mls), A74, Blackwood (100 miles!).

Hoping to have some riders join us from the Johnstone Wheelers, as usual. Looking forward to seeing a big mixed bunch on the day!

Show of hands please from those who are coming? Thanks.

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sorry Dennis, have to miss this again. Will be down south with Lewis and his Glasgow Cycle Team who are racing the Tom Simpson Memorial next Sunday. Hope the sun shines for you all.

M

That's great Ian, looking forward to seeing you here again. It looks as though there's going to be a good sized bunch and it would be great if the colour-scheme contained a strong element of the yellow and blue. :-)

Dennis

At least 17 riders going so far, weather's looking not bad and we have a 50th birthday (not mine, I'm afraid!) cake to eat along with Morag's nosh at the end.

The route may not have been accessible via the above link but I've since discovered the difference between private and public and it's now been changed!

As always, JWCC lads and lasses are welcome to come along.

Dennis

• Life Members

Hi Dennis,

I now cannot make this great run of yours as I need to be back mid afternoon for family stuff.

It seems like I'm jinks not to manage this run 2 years in a roll. Well, that just means I should be able to make next year then :-)

Anyway, have a smashing day & hope the weather is going to be great for everyone!

Please give my regards to Morag, and I was so looking forward to her "wee feast" after the run as well. :-(

Take care & have a great run

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi Dennis,

I was saying to Iain the other day that I hoped I could manage along, but I'm afraid like Chung family stuff later in the day means I have to ride a bit closer to home on Sunday. I too will be disappointed to be missing out on the treat that is "Morag's Cafe" :-( Please pass my regards to Morag and I hope you all have a great day... Hope to see you next year..

Cheers

Ian.........

A 20 strong bunch for this year's edition in fine borders countryside. JWCC/ Renfrewshire represented by Joyce & David, Campbell H, Iain Couttie and me.

A ride of two halves, the outward consistently wet, the return leg consistently dry with a measure of warm sunshine to boot. Really nice friendly bunch, offering safe wheels to follow and working well together. All civilized till the usual gallop up the Wiston climb around 85 miles - honours went to a frighteningly fit 21 year old, riding a steel commuting bike! Really strong.. perhaps not surprisingly so given his 3-4 times per week commute from Carluke to Glasgow.

A fine route as usual and fabulous food and hospitality from Morag & Dennis - always a highlight of my cycling year.

Thanks again!

Iain

Just back from being away all week, so first time in here since the run. It was an absolute pleasure to have you JWCC/Renfrewshire guys along with us and it certainly was a very enjoyable run. To those who couldn't make it this year, maybe next time.

Dennis