Alston and Back 300 audax 14/6

• Life Members

Alan,

What's the plan for the day? Drive down really early? What time do you expect to finish?

300km wow ….…… good training for LBL :-)

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Alan,

I just realised its a Saturday, I'll need to make arrangements with my wife because normally Saturdays are my kid duty. I'll get back to you later on that one.

13 HOURS .................. 300km, I still cannae get my head round the figures :-)

Do you think they'll let me ride my full carbon bike with carbon tubs? :-)

Have any of youse done this ride before, Alan & Al?

Cheers

Chung

Chung , the rules for Audax are now completely relaxed - well based on the Tayside. there were only a couple of saddlebags and muddies in evidence. Most of the riders were sportive riders on full carbon with some deep section rims.

Simon and I had a ride time of 13.5 hrs for Tayside with 3 good cafe stops on top. We started at 0630 and finished at nearly 2200. Steady pace just with the aim of finishing.

I reckon the plan is to drive down on the morning and that involves a 0400 rise or earlier. I am happy to go down the night before but it is still an early start.

I have 2 roof carriers. Go for it !

• Life Members

To the 2 Al's,

I'm afraid I cannot join youse on this epic ride tomorrow!

300km ............. makes me tired even just saying it :-)

Have a good one and enjoy, chaps!

Cheers

Chung

Was waiting on Al's detailed Garmin report, but he must be out of internet reach again...

Early 05:00 departure was required to make the 07:00 start. However, we missed the main bunch start (comfort break) and ended up on our own. This was the pattern for the rest of the day. Started off in light rain, but this cleared for most of the rest of the day with the exception of two heavy downpours in the afternnoon.

Scenery outstanding all the way with several of the roads smooth tarmac to match. No vertical gradients to speak of, but many long drags to sap the strength. In fact, had to suck Al's wheel for several miles on the return leg to Langholm when I was toiling up a 10 mile 'slope' after about 130 miles. I knew I would suffer on this - it was a two up TT at around 25mph on the way out! Eventually recovered with a red bull!

Finished the run at 21:23 with 195 miles on the clock. MacDonalds never tasted so good. Probably around 13 hrs in the saddle and I have the backside to prove it.

Despite 3 cafe breaks and a couple of 'shop' stops, lesson for me is that I need to take more real food (and red bull) on board. Think my stomach was rejecting gels late on.

Great day on the bike and good to hit the milestone. Strange feeling sitting at 100 miles and realising you're just over half way.

Dawes Tourer now on order and beard coming along nicely.

Planning next trip to Stornoway at start of Jul for the next 300km. All welcome....