Bunch Runs

Mark O

To all,

In an attempt to improve how the club is generally perceived and to promote greater sense of togetherness within the club and among the various bunches, as well as members not having to stand outside in the rain before rides, the committee have decided to initiate a standard approach to the commencement of Sunday club runs.

As of Sunday 23rd March all Sunday club runs will depart at 09.00 from Miller Street, irrespective of each groups' route or destination. It is the intention of the committee to have the clubrooms open for the use of riders from around 08.30 prior to the combined group roll out.

We are looking for individuals from each of the 3 bunches, particularly the 30 milers and intermediate group, to take on the responsibility of opening up and locking of the clubrooms. Keys will be made available as required. If you are interested and willing to get involved as a group keyholder please get in touch with one of the committee members.

Thanks

M

I presume the 09.00 start for all club runs, does not include runs in the depths of winter? Should it not be the participants of a particular bunch that decide on the start time? Some of us feel that a later start in the winter and having an extra 30 mins for the light to improve, is more suitable. Also, having this slightly later start on a frosty morning, is preferable and does make a difference. As I posted a lot of the 30 Miler runs during the winter, it wasn't just my preference, but the majority, who wanted the 09.30 start.

09.00 in spring,summer and autumn is fine, but I for one will not be posting a 09.00 start in the depths of winter, nor will I be participating in one starting at 09.00.

Guest George

Kenny, the committee made this decision in an attempt to bring the groups together.

The plan is for everyone to ride out together, at least as far as Morrisons, before going our separate ways.

Having the clubrooms open will also be great for wet mornings and more welcoming for newbies.

I fail to see how this cannot be construed as a good thing.

The bunches left at 09:30 last winter and I'm sure this will continue, however, the departure time isn't the crux of the matter-leaving at the same time is.

It'll be nice to see some new faces. I'm growing tired of the same old ugly mugs.

Change is good!

George.

Ken you presumption is correct, and all your points regards light, icy mornings etc are completely valid. Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough - apologies tendered for any confusion.

We did discuss the start time and settled for 09.00 as it is pretty light in the mornings now. I probably have one the furthest rides to the clubrooms in the morning and fully agree a 09.00 start in the winter is too early - usually dark setting out at 08.30 in December for a 09.30. Common sense will prevail.

As my post and that of George both allude to, the exact time when club runs leave Miller Street, at any given point in the year, is secondary to the desire of having the clubrooms open for use by members before a ride and to encourage a greater sense of unity within the club and between those riding in the various bunches through a single coordinated depart.

As a general point, we don't necessarily make full use of the clubrooms. This asset is there for the members' use and the committee are keen to see the facility used to its full potential. We are keen to hear the views of the membership on how this can be done and/or how you would like the clubrooms to be used.

M

Guest Kennyb

Mark,

I'm not sure how it would work with regards keys etc but I would love to have access to the club rooms to use the turbo trainers outwith the normal turbo session times.

With a two and a half year old child and six week old baby, I'm finding it difficult to get out the house in the evenings.

As I say though - fully appriciate the logistical difficulties of that. You probably don't want to give free access to everyone and I understand the reasons why.

Kenny