Removing a chain

Jannza

• Members

Some of those KMC Missing Links aren't reusable - you're supposed to reinstall the chain with a brand-new Missing Link when you put it back together. So if you don't know what model of chain/quick link you're dealing with, I'd just use a chain tool to remove and reinstall the chain in the traditional manner.

It's your Donald duck some split easy whilst others you would be as well trying to split the atom.

The KMC pliars come in handy and as Richard says though it pains to say your as well chucking them after use as they can be difficult to re-fit which isn't much fun if your chain breaks miles from nowhere.

• Life Members

Jann,

I'm not a big fan of the KMC chains or links, had a few poor experience with them in the past (maybe it was just me) & never went back!

I use manufacture's or Wipperman chains & their Connex Links:

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/chains/chain_spares/cnconnexlink.html?gclid=CI6q8ryh_7cCFSfLtAod-BIAQg

Re-usable and fairy easy to "un-link" if & when need to. Bit pricey though for 10 speed at least.

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Jann, when I flew to italy with the club, yes I removed the rear mech, but didn't remove my chain. I just covered the stay with cardboard then neatly taped the chain to the stay. I wasn't keen on removing the chain. Its defos do-able to save time and effort.

• Committee

Some of these are a pig to remove and need the special pliers.

You can also take them apart on the big chain ring.

Select big chain ring.

Pull the chain over the teeth so you have two links (one of them the Offending Link, OL) sticking up proud of the chain ring.

Two links form two sides of a triangle, the base is formed by a tooth.

You now have leverage to push the two sides of the OL together both lengthways and sideways.

It works. Usually

Alan