WOSCA East Kilbride Evening Saunter Part 2

Gummers

• 2023 Subscriptions

So here's my race report. So Richard, Colin, Hugh and myself turned out tonight for the Joansin. Curious race. Out on A71 pace was quite tentative and nervous, the before we hit the climb the bunch went by a horse and rider. The horse was spooked by the bunch and the rider did everything in her power to stay on top and control the horse. Thankfully horse, rider and cyclists unharmed. This created chaos going into the first climb ruining any chances of getting positioning sorted. I found myself in a bunch of 3 just off main bunch, soon to be 5, membership changing over the course of the laps. We worked pretty well together almost catching main bunch on the second climb. Lost one guy on the climb and picked up another on the other side of climb. Unfortunately he bleated repeatedly about pace, didn't want to work or race. This has the impact of improving our shape as a group but reducing our overall speed. I attached on the climb of the 3rd lap hearing him express some unpleasant thoughts about my move. Thankfully other guys made the gap and so we started to race and get some decent speed. He was quiet. Final sprint was fun. I was third on the line. It was a great night. Definitely enjoyed. Another night of learning and lessons!

Andy

• Members

Lads, I've read tales of your efforts over the last few years, but only now do I really understand how hard racing is after a totally abject ride tonight.

Having entered this race, last week I allowed myself to think that I might be able to get round in the bunch. I'm no' as fit as I was last year, but I've been riding loads; lost a bit of weight and I've been working my way back into the intervals again. Today though, the doubts started to creep in. I reckon I've done a grand total of one chaingang this year. I've been doing about one hard session a week on the turbo, which isn't really a lot when you think about it.

Blue skies and sunshine in Sandford tonight, but blowing a hoolie. Lots of fit-looking people started to arrive for the sign on at half-five, including Andy and Colin, who are barely recognisable from the last time I saw them before Christmas. Hugh's changed shape, too, but whereas Andy and Colin have got smaller, Hugh's got bigger (in a strictly vertical sense.) :grin:

So, off we went at seven. The neutralised section followed a slow, quick-quick, slow format, with screeching brakes accompanying the slow bits. When we turned onto the A71 I was in the back third of the bunch. I recognised the two boys in front of me as consistent top-five finishers in these WOSCA races, so I figured there was no need to panic. Well, no need to panic any more, at any rate!

It was start-stop, fast-slow along the A71 too. The surges were pretty hard on the legs, but overall I felt all right and I could see the other Wheelers nearby. As we got closer to the left-hander to take us out to Dungavel, I couldn't help but notice that the high-finishers who were in front of me five minutes earlier had vanished up front. Hugh, Colin and Andy were up ahead a bit too.

So now I'm at the tail of what remains of the bunch. The riders round about me are suffering, flaking off the back of the group. It's hard to get on a good wheel, my legs are starting to protest and we're getting closer and closer to the first significant rise. I'm thinking, "I know what happens next! Out the back - end of race."

Next thing I know, the bunch has stopped in front of me. There's a rearing horse in the road, perilously close to the bikes. The rider did not have a big smile on her face and she was struggling to settle the horse and keep control. Eventually, she managed to back the poor beastie away from the road and the bunch tip-toed by. Alas, as the back end of proceedings, including me, gingerly negotiated the horse, the front end were hammering it onto the hill up to Dungavel. I was miles too far away from the main body of riders at this point, but even if I had been on the back of them, I'm pretty doubtful whether I could have held on.

I rode into Strathaven on my tod, with a Colin-powered bunch of three or four up in front of me. As I went by the finish line, the bunch were coming back onto the A71 for a second time. You think to yourself, "They're closer than I thought they'd be," but deep down you know there's no way you're getting back on again. I caught Colin's group and tagged along with them down to the first turn on the circuit. From the point I got binned, I was just riding round deciding when - not if - I was going to chuck it.

After chatting to the marshall at the junction, thanking him for turning out, I headed back to Sandford. Just outside Strathaven I saw a breakaway of two heading off on their third lap, with a pretty uninterested, gubbed-looking bunch 20-odd seconds behind them, and a group chasing hard, with Andy in it, a little further behind them still. I went back to the village hall for coffee and a cake. I think that says it all! Fair play to you for soldiering on, lads.

Not quite sure what to make of it all just now. I'll have a kip and see how I feel in the morning. I may have another crack at it yet!

Guys remember not to get too despondent we are making progress - these races have a lot of cat 3's in them and guys with much more tacing in their legs so it can get tough at times. I was feeling the best I've felt for the first part of the race only putting in efforts when I had to and staying on the wheel - however there was no movement in the bunch - and I was only able to move forward sporadically while conserving effort.

Then came the incident with the horse - As Andy had already pointed out this caused a split in the strung out group - those at the front took full advantage and pressed on leaving the rest of us to go eyeballs out to try and get back on - without success.

When it came to the climb I pressed the accelerator and it just wasn't there - watched Andy push on and thought that he would get back on - I had already realised it was too late but passed a number of riders falling off the back so took heart from the fact that I was not the only one

Worked with a group and did most of the pace setting allowing others through when it got tough Richard joined the group for a bit on Lap 2 which gave me a lift and I was able to press on.

Me and another guy from the group dropped the other riders on the climb of the last lap and went off down the road I pulled ahead of him on the final climb to the finish but he took the sprint on the line

More lessons learned tonight and looking forward to next race

Guys

It's all about learning you all have the ability to get a good place next step is to look over the races and answer honestly where it went well and where it went wrong out of that you will get something to improve which may get you that desired place

Well done The JW racing team

Guest HughMcGrade

Similar story to the others for me - I didn't get back into the lead group after the horse incident then carried on in a group with a couple of others. It was a good night though.