JWCC Majorca 2013

• Life Members

Hi All,

Here are my take on the trip, also some Garmin stats & photos for anyone thats interested.

Most of us only went for 5 days, so others can fill in the gaps before we arrived & after we left.

Day 1 Saturday

Arrived at hotel after lunch time with really bad weather. So, no bike ride, just settling in & building up bikes and chilling out.

Day 2 Sunday

Terrible weather again, but made it out for a short ride to Formentor (light house) with Ritchie after we got lost from DavieB & Richard. We dumped into Darryl & Paul in their car up the climb after their early morning "gym session".

The first part of the climb before the 1st viewing point was great with smooth new tarmac only to be spoiled by "slow" descending coaches. The fog was pretty bad near the top and visibility was not ideal but we made it to the end. The ride through the nu-lit tunnel was a really surreal & scary moment indeed!

http://connect.garmi...ivity/307347559

Day 3 Monday

Another p*ss day of weather, but after a lot of he-hor-ing we eventually made it out for nearly everyone around 2ish to explore the nearby hills. From Pollenca to Lluc passing the monestry, we all climb as a group all the way up to the jubction of Sa Calobra but time was late so a quick descend back to PP were we formed a train with a group of English cyclist with some very expensive & posh bikes indeed.

http://connect.garmi...ivity/307347537

Day 4 Tuesday

At last the sun came out and the whole place change- the atmosphere & mood of the group transformed to one of frustrated hope to eager anticipation. An early start of 9am for the whole group of 15 set out to do a few "hills".

Pollenca - Campenet - Alaro - Orient (climb)- Bunyola (Cafe stop) - Soller (climb)- Puig Major (climb) - Lluc - Pollenca

What a hard & magnificent day of cycling, the climb & switch backs was hard but the descend was absolutely brilliant.

I never really like descending back here, but the smooth roads & the layout of it made me enjoyed the descending so much more, it really did put a bug smile on my face.

http://connect.garmi...ivity/307347514

Day 5 Wednesday

Sunshine again! We didn't all go out as one group today, some want to take it a did easier from the day before. So, Billy, Charlie, Al, Richard, Davie, Scott, Ritchie & myself went as a group heading towards Ritchie's must do list for this trip - Sa Calobra (he wanted to go because he saw Bradley Wiggins did it for his training)

Pollenca - Campenet - Caimari - Lluc (climb) - descend into Sa Calobra - (lunch) - ascent of Sa Calobra (climb) - Pollenca

http://connect.garmi...ivity/307347473

Day 6 Return to Glasgow

The trip for me has been brilliant, I have been trying to go to Majorca on 2 previous occasion but failed on both times due to volcanic ash & airline going bust. So, for me it was a long time coming & I thoroughly enjoy the whole trip even with the poor weather to start with. I would definetly go back again in the further, it has so much to offer us cyclist. The hotel we stayed in was fantastic with great facilities for everyone, but particularly cyclist!

On a separate not - Billy get some proper tyres & try to look where you're going, 7 punctures on this trip must be a record even by your own high standard!

Tom, I hope you get your bike & Rapha gear sorted after coming down on those slippery when wet lime stone roads!

Link to some images (Some were taken by Scott)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55693145@N05/sets/72157633415617478/

Cheers the now!

So, where we're going next year then.............France?

Chung

Guest EPCC

Yes

On the long run after about ten miles we turned off the main drag to a side road which was narrow and had a few bends coming towards us was a truck which left little room so brakes slammed on Tom skidded and came off knackerd his shorts will leave it for Tom to fill in the detail

The white roads are slippy

Well summed up Chung ...a cracking trip where the weather didn't stop play with my Garmin reporting over 400 miles with excess of 25,000ft of climbing in the week. The Sa Calobra in particular was stunning, almost unwordly, and just felt priviledged being there to be honest.

Would highly recommend as a cycling trip with the Hotel Duva being a great base really well set up for cycling - I would see myself going back.

Roll on next years trip....French Pyranees would be good (round Luchon area) but have been looking at the hotels / set-up of Paul's regular stamping grounds of the Costa Blanca and this might be a good early season shout given flights, costs etc.

Davie

• Life Members

Hi all,

Speaking of equipment malfunction and the likes!

Just a point regarding taking specific parts for your own bikes when taking it out on foreign trips!

I would personally suggest taking lots of inner tubes (Billy ;-)), multi-tools that'll cover all you specific bike needs i.e the right size hex keys, chain breaker, speed chain links etc and one very important part I think is a replaceable rear mech hanger. As this is always bike specific and are hard to come by especially in foreign lands, also it can get bend or damage when in plane transit or just simply bike falling down and bending it (that's you Ritchie)

I'm not trying to preach but I think if you cover most if not all grounds on the mechanical front, then it'll not spoil your cycling holiday should some mishap does occur and just concentrate on cycling!

Thanks for reading & take care out on the road

Cheers

Chung