Easy Riders - Sunday 31st July 0915

Tony

This is primarily aimed at:

- beginners and returners

- people who are developing their fitness with a view to joining the main bunch

- people who are short of time

...but anyone else who does not feel they fit into one of the above three categories is welcome to come along as well.

Leaving from Miller St at 0915 (based on the assumption that the main bunch leave at 0900 as I think they have been doing recently; we probably don't want both groups to leave at the same time as it might confuse newcomers).

Here is my proposed route:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=279485

This route is 44 miles. (It's similar to the route some of us did on 3rd July but with one or two variations, e.g. we will be missing out the really gravelly bit where Mark came off his bike...) Cafe stop in Kilmaurs for those who want one. I'll skip it but I'm sure somebody will be up for a pitstop.

It is my expectation that we will ride at a pace that suits the vast majority of riders who turn up on the day; if someone is really struggling despite efforts to keep the group together (e.g. a complete beginner) then there are bail-out options for them - see below.

Bail-out option #1

When we get to Greenhills (on the Barrmill-Dunlop road) we will be going straight ahead through the crossroads. If you want to bail out here you can turn left instead, then turn left again at Dunlop and head for Lugton then back to Johnstone via the Braes. If you take this option your total mileage from start to finish will be about 26 miles.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=279488

Bail-out option #2

Just before Caven Mill we come to a crossroads where we will be going straight ahead. If you want to bail out here you can turn left instead. After a few miles this road will take you to a staggered junction on the A736. If you go straight through this junction you will be on the B778 (Stewarton Road). There are three left turns on this road before you get to Stewarton; the second one takes you direct to Dunlop. From there you can carry on as per option #1 above. If you take this option your total mileage from start to finish will be about 34 miles.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=279486

Thanks

Tony

A question when did the timings for the Sunday bunch change from a time of 0930 hrs, which has stood for as long as I can remember ,that's longer than some have been out of the egg.

Exceptions Only, if the club was going further a field, the timings changed, these timings are known to many that have been members, know that they can turn up 0900 for 0930 for a Sunday pedal .

Bring on the excuses something new would be appreciated .

No excuses 0900 gets you back a bit quickerand suits most of the bunch don't know about easy riders though

Tony on another point I also think what you are doing is required to a degree but if you are taking newbies out with you I think you have to ensure they get back your post and bail outs suggest otherwise. I think both for the club and the encouragement of new people into the sport they should not be left whereas in the racing group we don't have that duty of care and can drop who we like usually some shimano clad chappy

Not to worry Mark,

Even if the Campag Crew :madashell (of whom there are fewer and fewer...there are only 2 or 3 lower end protour teams who have remained in the dark ages :roll: ) manage to drop Shimano Oh ya dancer ! or otherwise equipped riders you will be sure to catch them again Oh ya dancer ! . Usually on an uphill :oops: where instead of the usual clunking their chain will have come off and stuck between the chainset and stay :icon_mooningStoooopid!:icon_yes

Colin Hello, beer !!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Was just thinking how great it is to be riding your summer bike in the summer, instead of having to get the old winter workhorse out while the goodun's stuck in the LBS again for another repair... Thank heaven's for Shimano :lol:

Your bike ready yet Billy ??

Billy Billigerent, what are you doing man? Letting slip the main bunch is the "racing" bunch ;-) and agitating all shimanoites in the same post :shock: . How are we ever to attract fresh faces to the shambles we publicly refer to as the main sunday bunch. Add to that the intimation that we drop who we like, god help those who we don't take kindly to - suggest we make them sit at the front all day this weekend. You'll have the poor lambs scared stiff and us a really friendly, caring, and socially adept groupette.

Shame on you

Regarding the post above about start times :

It was discussed and agreed at the AGM last Nov that start times would be 09:00 in the summer and 09:30 in the winter.

Since minutes of the meeting were never posted then the message got lost!!

Paul C (Massive SRAM single click fan - never had a failure!)

Ah Tony just keeping the finger on the pulse ,in days of old a Sunday run was just that, a Sunday run, all day but as we have more women wearing trousers than men these days well ,I won't upset any one too much lol.

Half wheelers ha ha the age old problem , Tony that's what the bicycle pump is for another one of it's many uses.

Tony the bike mmmm I'll have to find it first, your right both it and Myself could do with a pedal, I'll use the words of a famous man .

I shall return .

Someday lol

I suppose the men will have to be home for lunch time 1200 hrs ,so sad it wasn't like it was a few years ago out drum up / cafe stop that's for those that couldn't light a fire lol then a habble home .

It goes to show how soft people have became ,I remember riding a 50, at Stirling the bunch meeting at the strip and cycling home via a drum up at the Lake of Menteith how things change sad .

Racing group? Should they no be racing of a sunday? . as for the campag/shimano debate. I am living proof that irrespective of groupset, you cannot polish a turd.

Ian

The bike is just getting some Japanese bearings replaced and of. Course the replacements will be Italian

Colin if you looked closely you would have seen campags electronic 11 speed but as its designed to look good you might not of notice it Stoooopid!