Ayr Century - Sunday 10th July

Tony

Hi Folks

I'm hoping to repeat last year's Ayr-Newton Stewart run, on Sunday the 10th of July. If anyone else wants to come along I'll be delighted. It's a social ride - steady pace with a focus on keeping the group together.

Here is the route - 103 miles, starting & finishing at Burns Cottage, Alloway:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=230693

It's different from last year - slightly longer but less hilly - rather than 3 big climbs there's only one (the Nick O' Balloch, but in reverse). Mostly quiet & scenic roads.

Cafe stops still to be finalised but I reckon there will be 2 of them -

1. Lunch at the visitor centre tearoom at Clatteringshaws Loch, or one of the hotels in New Galloway (40-ish miles)

2. "High Tea" at the Village Tearoom in Barr (82 miles). Barr also has (clean) public toilets where you can refill your water bottles.

Directions to start:

Heading down A77 past Ayr - go thru the roundabout signposted A713, then under a railway bridge, and then about half a mile after that you come to a wee staggered crossroads. The road on the left is signposted Corton, the one on the right is Alloway. Turn right and that's you in Doonholm Road (heading into Ayr, towards Alloway). Bear right at the next roundabout and you will shortly come to Burns Cottage. When you get to Burns Cottage turn left, head down the road a couple of hundred yards and you will see public parking spaces on the left hand side of the road (opposite the big houses). When we have parked and unloaded our bikes I suggest we gather in the car park behind Burns Cottage as it's a nice open space away from the road.

I'm thinking of a 9am start this year (30mins earlier than last year, so that we don't have to compete for parking spaces with the local churchgoers in Alloway).

If you're interested, post here....car-pooling can be sorted out nearer the time. Here's hoping we get the weather, last year started off a bit drizzly but ended up being fine and was one of the best days I've ever had on the bike. (We had 17 riders including a contingent from the Royal Albert.)

Thanks

Tony

Paul,

Are you still intending riding this one? If so, could we perhaps sort out transport assuming you haven't already done so. I'd be happy to drive but don't have carrier or racks. Can fit 2 bikes in back of car no problem.

Let me know your thoughts

Mark

Hi Tony,

Just to let you know that the Royal Albert riders enjoyed this so much last year that up to about 8 or 9 of us are planning to come over to join you all! :grin:

Looking forward to seeing you all then.

Dennis

Paul,

If you are happy to drive that fine. I stay at the eastern fringe of kilbirnie. Can meet you at the crossroads junction at the bottom of the hill as you come into the town from Lochwinnoch.

I'll wait on right hand side of the road - best side of junction to park on and swing car around. If you go past Tescos you have gone to far.

Let me know what time and I'll be there.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Folks

slight change of plan for Sunday - rather than the route I posted earlier I think we will just stick to last year's route - which looks like this -

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=230692

...it is 97 miles.

As per last year the cafe stops will be:

1. Lunch at the Cree Inn, Newton Stewart (I will phone them before we set off and warn them to expect us)

2. High Tea at the Village Hall, Barr. (Open 1330 to 1700 - I expect we will get there about 1600)

Now a word about hills. There are a few on this route, of which the foremost are:

Doughty Hill (18 miles)

I don't know if this climb really has a name, but I know that when you get to the top (1100 feet) there is a forestry track going off to the right which is signposted "Doughty Hill" hence the name I have given it. Those who were there last year will remember the exhilarating descent to North Balloch. Take care (especially if there are cows on the road)

Nick O' Balloch (22 miles)

A stiff climb to the highest point of the route (about 1200 feet) followed by a very long gradual descent towards the River Cree.

Pinmore Step (72 miles)

Again I don't know if this really has a name but it's the steep ramp that takes you up out of the Stinchar valley towards Pinmore Mains farm on the road to Barr. Steepest climb of the day at 20% but only for a couple of hundred metres.

Milton Hill (81 miles)

The climb from Milton Brig to the wind farm (850 feet).

...let's remember to regroup at the top of the big climbs (I know you will anyway) and generally make a special effort to keep it steady and keep the group together for the enjoyment of everyone. I would be the first to admit I'm not the best at marshalling a large bunch so I'll be relying on others to help in that respect.

Looking forward to seeing you all - remember 0900 start so try and be there for 0845 at the latest

Thanks

Tony

Meant to say - I believe Bill Thomson is coming along and also new member "Andy from Langbank" who was out last Sunday. I only mention this as I believe neither of them has an account on this forum.

Met Office forecast for Newton Stewart tomorrow is cloudy with sunny spells, couple of showers in the afternoon by the looks of it.

Anyone still needing a lift? Unfortunately I can't offer a lift this year as I'm travelling down to Ayr with my brother John in his Saxo and I think the bikes will be in the back so no room for anyone else.

Thanks again to Tony for another fine run -out in deepest SW Scotland! When you see the road sign "Wigtown 3 & 1/2 miles" you know you are a bit out of the usual territory. Even the sun smiled on us (eventually).

Thanks to all for the company and to Kenny C for forgoing the delights of a Barr afternoon tea, to see me over the hill, down to Maybole & Alloway and back to Glasgow in good time to catch James Taylor tonite.

Old hippies never die...but their Tshirts fade away!

Iain