Round the Cree Saturday 4th September

Kenny Christie

Great idea - I'm in! As Charlie says forecast looks pretty good at least till later afternoon.

I've never actually done this legendary run before so have checked out the traditional route with some trusted commrades. Generally, it seems to have been done anti-clockwise (say from Anniesland Cross) via Milngavie, Strathblane, Rob Roy Hotel at Aberfoyle, Right there thru' Port of Menteith, then left over Braes of Greenock to Callendar. Left there and out via Klmahog, Loch Lubnaig, Strathyre, Lochearnhead and round past the Killin Rd end down to Crianlarich. From there left and straight down to Tarbet then Balloch and home. I gather the reason for the anti-clockwise direction was to gain some shelter down the lochside from the prevailling SW wind.

For a number of reasons I'd suggest doing it in reverse this time; 1. the wind doen't look likely to be too bad 2. Folks from Renfrewshire could join weegie's at North side of Erskine Br. 3. As Kenny suggests, we might be happier to clear the lochside traffic earlier rather than later.

I'd be happy to meet Kenny/Richard and whoever else at Anniesland (if either can suggest a suitable landmark) and estimated ride time to Erskine Br. to meet up with others. I'd favour a relatively early start too - 9am or even 8.30am at Anniesland?

I will of course prepare assiduously for this arduous venture - probably a curry and a few beers while watching the fitba' to-morrow night!

Cheers

Iain

• 2023 Subscriptions

Guys,

Have a good run. I've done it a few years ago clockwise. Good idea to get past the busy Loch Lomond side early.

We finished with the top of the world and then the crow, which was perhaps a mistake. :shock:

It is a lovely run, although the surface and traffic from Tarbet to Ardlui is not great, so it's a good section to push on at.

Enjoy.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Have a great day folks, sounds like a cracker. Unfortunately i'm unable to make it. Dont feel too sorry for me though, having a day out on the lash Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !! with a group of mates, meeting up town at midday, so should be suitably merry by the time you guys stop for coffee and cakes Oh ya dancer !

Ian

• Members

I'm a bit touch and go for this ride now. As I type, I don't have a road bike (with gears) in rideable condition. I'll tinker tomorrow and try to get myself back on the road.

Incidentally this is an end of summer epic club bunch run, well into century figures as such the aim is to stick together with no fractures if at all possible.

Hear hear! The run will be much more enjoyable if we can keep the pace sensible and stick together. Out of respect for the mileage, maybe we could ride the hills as a tight-knit bunch, too?

Btw, Iain, it's about 25 minutes from Anniesland to the bridge - a time estimate which assumes a pace suitable for that time of the morning. :grin:

Cheers to Iain for his research/route details. Who needs a Garmin?!

Can we firm up this plan then, agree to departure at 8.30am from the lavatories at Anniesland cross for the West/City people. And going with Iains proposed rendezvous at the North side of the bridge/football park at 9.00 for anyone from the Renfrewshire area.

See you Saturday

8-)

A link to the days stats, Its not complete though as, berk that I am I forgot to start it up after as we left Callander it was a fair bit down the road before I realised. So the mileage isn't right.

My output dipped outstandingly low just before the Blane Valley on the way back, it was like someone else's legs! A bridge too far for me today. I enjoyed it v much though.

Mr K.N. Ackered of Milngavie. :smash

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47549541

• Members

That was a beaut. Thought we worked well together and did a good job of avoiding testosterone-fuelled blasts off the front (with the possible exception of the Battle of Callander.) :grin:

Big thanks to Kenny for coming up with the idea; a brainwave he managed to top with the inspired suggestion of a post-ride pub stop.

See you next time, folks.