good luck for super 6

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/uploads/fi ... rd09-B.pdf

http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/uploads/fi ... rd09-A.pdf

Super6 starts this Saturday in Gifford. Frank and Matt will be flying the jdub colours in the B race, while big Jim D ploughs a lone furrow in the A race. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

Good luck to all.

(PS hope the bib shorts fit, frank :grin: )

M

Guest Jim Daly

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll pm some top secret race advice to Matt and Frank later regarding the composition of breaks that will be successful and that they should attack off the front of the bunch to join.

Both Matt (& Frank?) and I need our race licences.

Does anyone have Ian Manson's phone number?

Jim

• Committee

Go guys!

Forecast is even windier and colder than last year. Elbows oot and keep your place out of the wind.

You'll all be doing well to finish in what is sure to be fierce racing.

Jim, you have some cracking opposition from both East and West.

Have a good day.

Alan.

Guest Jim Daly

Matt finished his race. I'm not sure about Frank.

Fairly brisk racing although I was quite comfortable with the effort required on the hills and crosswinds until the 3rd of 8 laps x 8.1 miles. By then a break of three had temporarily got clear.

Made some of my usual rookie errors and rode my new bike with the seat in too far back and the nose far too high (short of time and couldn't find a spanner to adjust). :-?

I started fairly well up the field but steadily drifted back although I was fairly happy because a few class racers were there, including big Gordon Murdoch, Paul McInally and Graham McGarrity, plus the bunch was extremely jittery with a lot near crashes. There was much cycling in the wrong-side gutter due to wind which picked up as the race progressed.

I probably took the corner at the bottom of the long down hill too slowly and a gap formed on the North flank of the course with a strong crosswind from the South. I chased hard for over a mile and got the gap, which at one point was close to 100m, back to no more than 20feet. A sharp left turn up the hill into the wind and the bunch was away. :-x

Once I was over the disappointment of getting within touching distance, I settled-in for a 45 miles solo TT with the aim of not being lapped too often. A bit later I saw that a bloke was off the back and made an effort to team up. The bemused look on his face when I passed whilst urging him get on told me that he was heading to Gifford HQ for a coffee and lots of cakes. I didn't see anyone else for about 30 miles.

Next incident was the front race car passing more than half way round my 6th lap. Oh no! Only one cyclist though. I guessed that it must be Michael Nicholson: A big bloke in a Dooley outfit but not skinny enough to be the obvious candidate Long Cranks Doyle. A couple of minutes later a second rider from JE James went by. The bell rang for the chasing break as they went by a bit too fast for me and a few seconds later about 20 in the bunch eased past. A much hoped for armchair ride on their final lap was denied me. :-(

Wind was very strong on my last lap. Was cheered up at the finish by Martin Coopland who had been in the front group. He said that his group could see me for a long time in the distance but weren't closing and that for a few laps I was travelling as fast as the 10 man break. :grin:

I will try very hard to put all the pieces together in the right order in time for the next race. :roll:

• 2023 Subscriptions

Sounds like the race was similar to last year Jim - well done sticking with it in the conditions. Better sort oot the seatpost !

No training at all here Alan - however I'm spending a few days at 2000m altitude in Mexico right now - I can just feel them red blood cells mutliplying :grin: I'm getting fitter doing nothing.

PMcD

Oh ya dancer !

As Jim said, Frank and I rode in the support race for the Super 6 yesterday.

This was 5 laps of the same circuit used for the A race, totalling 40 miles. A full field of 80 set off through the neutralised zone and after a short telling off from the commissaires for folk riding on the wrong side of the road we were away.

It was all fairly twitchy early on with the pace changing erratically leading to an early spill near the back. Approaching the KOM prime on the first lap a split in the bunch appeared with probably about 50-60 riders going clear.

Frank was caught in the rear bunch which I believe was pulled out of the race after completing 4 laps.

I was feeling OK at this point though seemed to find myself at the back of the bunch almost continually for the next few laps. A lack of recent racing experience was probably the cause and this meant a fair amount of chasing from corners etc.

A very rapid sprint prime at Lap 2 resulted in the bunch stringing out along the road :smash and gradually coming back together as the front riders hit the strong headwind and eased up a little. However, the effort required by myself to get back on to the bunch eventually paid its price after another lap or so and I simply couldn't find it in my legs to hold on at the top of the KOM prime towards the end of Lap 3. :smash:smash

I struggled on through managing to finish what I guess would be about 10 minutes behind the bunch in about 40-50th (ish).

I was pleased to have finished, and it certainly gives something on which to improve. Here's to the next race! Hello, beer !!

Very hard day.

As Matt says, the bunch started off erratically and although I was determined to keep in the middle of the group, I drifted to towards the back. I was tracking Matt who was 3-4 riders ahead of me when the rider immediately behind him veered into the path of those following and 4 riders hit the tarmac as a result. I braked fiercely and managed to stay upright but after picking my way around the tangle of bodies and bikes, the bunch were far into the distance.

Thereafter it was a case of playing catch-up but I knew it was a hopeless task. I managed to catch a wheel on lap 3 but by then I was really feeling it. By the end of lap 4 it was a relief to be told by a race official to stop as the bunch would be finishing within a few minutes.

Think I'm now officially retired from road racing!

Frank