Mountain bike routes ??

lancelogan

• 2023 Subscriptions

How fast are you driving? 2 hours can be a long way!

Seriously though, right at the outer limits of a normal "2 hours" drive from Paisley is Dalbeattie, one of the Seven Staines routes. I personnally think it is by far the best.

As Alan says, there is Glentress, which certainly covers for all abilities and has a greater variety of length of tracks. Not far down the road from Glentress is Innerleithen, which really only has one cross country route, but it is a good one, with loads and loads of climbing :grin::grin::grin: ,then the inevitable descent to finish (not my favourite bit :oops: ).

There is also Drumlanrig (which I haven't ridden), but I have heard it can be very slippy after rain. So.....

If you do not fancy a man made "trail centre", there are plenty of other options, but most require a guide the first time. Such as Pitmedden Forest (Auchtermuchty), Loch Ard Forest (Aberfoyle) and dare I say it Mugdock (Milngavie). (I have to admit, I really like Mugdock once you get to know all the small trails).

Hope this is of some use. Given what the weather has been, one of the trail centres will probably be your best bet, as the routes tend to stand up to the rain a bit better.

Ramsay

• Members

Closest to you is Pollock park , which has a couple of custom built tracks which can be fun especially during the week when very quiet. I took kids from school there for activities day and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not as exciting as the far away ones but handy for less time consuming excursions.

Likewise you have tracks at Robertson carpark at top of the Braes and at Erskine you have tracks at old ferry terminal Booden boo , across the water you have the climb to Loch Humphrey and the abundant tracks there.

Kenny MacD

On top of all the man made trails through Edinburgh way there is also Carron Valley Forrest just out past Fintry (search for that name on something like Google and you will get their web page).

One trail at the moment which I think is about 10k long and is mostly red graded (with a couple of spicy bits thrown in).

The last section of trail is especially nice with lots of managable doubles and tabletops which can be rolled over if not confident jumping. You have the option of trying this bit several times in a day as the top is not too far from the car park and despite not really being that far up the hillside the trail follows tha contours very nicely, which means less peddaling Oh ya dancer !

Colin

I've been going out with Glasgow Mountain Bike Club on a Wednesday night for a few weeks now.

It usually entails 2 to 2 a bit hours round the smaller trails of Mugdock and sometimes up to Carbeth. It's been dark by the end each time and is now more or less dark setting out so you need lights.

So far the terrain has been muddy, riverlike and/ or riding over wet tree roots much of the time so it is quite technical but you can always get off and walk. They do tend to wait at junctions and hilltops... so you don't get abandonded. There's sometimes a cup of tea in the club hall when you get back. There's always a club jet-wash session at the hall

Most folk are riding hardtails with 4" front travel and a few full sus- however I've not even got front suspension or disc brakes....

Best bit is the trails which I'm really looking forward to seeing first time in the light some day if i ever get time

Its worth a go. Bunch size varies from 9 or less to 20 or more

Pace is variable but not as demanding as the technical aspects

I used to do the forest trails around Aberfoyle a lot... go from Drymen Square on the road by the school, up and over the hill then first left when you see a car park on your right. This follows 'The Pipe Track' which runs all the way to loch Katrine after a bit of Navigating you'll find the back of Aberfoyle and then a few hundred yards up the Dukes Pass theres an in to the Forest Park. You can get good scale maps of it. More forest trail than tehnical last time I was there (last century) Lots of opportunity to combine road and trails .