The End of the 9.30am Bunch.............

chung

• Life Members

Hi all,

Should we just cancel the 9.30am bunch as from this Sunday 25th May onwards until further notice?

The reason I propose this is because due to various reasons there seem to be a lack of riders turning up for it, so I don't see the point of having this run anymore.

Yesterday, which was a splendid day for cycling we had only 3 riders for the 9.30am bunch, the week before I'm not sure if there was even anyone out, 4th May 4 riders, 27th April 1 rider (that was Mike) and 21st april 3 riders.

Cheers

Chung

• Members

Chung

this is a typical problem when the racing / sportive season starts.

The 9:00am bunch is still busy at the moment but has quite a few newcomers in it at present. Probably enough for 2 ability groups , dont know if they can be persuaded to start later though?

At this time of year its a play it be ear type of game, I personally wont be out this weekend and then will be out for 1 week away for next out for 1 away for next then probably missing next 4-5 weeks. Just keep posting and see who is available.

Some of the guys in the 9am bunch have probably progressed to a level where the could step up to the longer miles that the 9:30am bunch.

However, they may have their reasons for staying with the earlier bunch. Would it be worthwhile posting approximate routes and timings in advance so that the option is there for some of these guys?

I know i don't get along that often, but a large part of going out on the Sunday Club Run is the opportunity to go out for a longer ride than I would normally do if i'm on my own.

I also reckon, although not having ridden with the 9 o'clock group that as Kenny S said some of those will be getting to the stage that they are ready and eager to go out for a longer club run, perhaps some of this is due to concerns about a perceived upping of pace (usually only happens when Martin is around) and the longer distances.

I think that anyone in this position should be encouraged to give the later run ago, assuming it suits timewise etc, and it certainly wouldn't be a problem for anyone knew to this group sitting in and letting Frank, Chung, Jim D etc do the work on the front (I personally find this quite satisfying).

Probably would be a good idea for someone to post a route and even anticipated return time, I found it good last year going out with an idea of where we were going.

Chung as regards "the week before" there was 1 rider (well would have been 1 rider if i got out the car), me! however as this was the Sunday of the Arran trip I wasn't overly suprised,

ps Chung i haven't forgot about the dvd's had them with me that Sunday and also at the confined APR, will get them to you.

Anyway I vote for keeping the 9:30 group going

Richard Hello, beer !!

• Life Members

Sounds great Lesley, go for it!

Richard, I'm sorry I could not come along last Sunday and the APR to get the DVD, should be out this Sunday, and hope to see you there. Thanks Mate

Cheers

Chung

As a relative new comer to the club and a family man I would like to say that I appreciate the choice of two groups. For anyone considering jumping to the longer run - do it! I went straight into the 09h30 group and my fitness and enjoyment increased dramatically. Although I have struggled to hold the pace at times I have only ever had encouragement from the group. The only pressure I felt was from myself!

I like the idea of a pre-planned route and would be willing to take my turn. However, would it not make sense to have both groups starting at the same time?

1. This would allow people to join the 9h00 bunch if the others didn't turn up.

2. Also the 9h00 guys could tag along with the others for a while (better publicity for the club in the imediate area).

3. This would also, I think, make it less daunting to move across to longer rides as you would know the 9h30 group a bit better.

Any thoughts?

• Life Members

Hi All,

I support the idea of what David is proposing in that both groups start at 9.00am, because for reasons he stated and also simply to start the ride earlier which means we get back earlier.

As David said, we (the 9.30 bunch) don't go out and give people a doing, (there's the Renfrew Bunch if you're into that sort of thing) we always regroup on top of every climb, and we definetly don't leave anybody behind.

By the way, David, the only time you seem to drop off a wee bit is the long climbs.......my solution is get a lighter frame...worked for me ;-)

Cheers

Chung