Sunday 20th Aug

• Life Members

Hi all,

Despite a few late call offs, 6 of us came out to play on this run - Al, Eric, Ian Ginty, Richard (a rare sighting in a Bunch run as the Nessie Monster icon_blue_laugh ), Stevie & myself set off from the Bridge with hope of some half decent summer weather!

Pretty event free before the (always nice) cafe stop in Kilcreggan apart from the greyish sky rather than the sun we were half expecting :-(

Then it all kicked off after the stop - first I had a front flat curtesy of dirty rain washed road which my uber supple Italian rubber ain’t designed for, duly fixed & off we went again.

Then disaster struck for Stevie up the Glen Fruinn climb as his brand spanking new super duper Cevelo S3 had a major mechanical which render it a bit of a mess, a quick SOS call back to base had him sorted for a rescue of man & machine. We reluctantly left him to gently walked back down to the main road - poor Stevie (even worst for his wife/partner who had to drive all that way to rescue him :grin: ) we were pretty sure we could have converted it into a single speed & at least had him ride to Helensbrough for the train ………. oh well :-)

So, the 5 of us continued on home via Balloch, where upon Richard & myself stayed on the Northside as the others cross the bridge.

Thankfully everyone got back ok & the sun finally came out when I got home ……. typical!

Thanks to Ian for posting the run & the rest for the wheels today, thoroughly enjoyed it despite the few issues & well done to all the testers on the 25TT on the West ferry, especially Billy for a very good time indeed, chapeau chaps!

I haven’t posted a ride report for a while, the ease of Strava have made me lazy in that respect, anyhow thanks for reading & hope to see youse on the road soon!

Cheers

Chung

So bike is back.

Damage to the seat stay is superficial (first scratch is always the worst init).

Shop have replaced the chain and rear mech (with the new ultegra version no less) and put the originally spec'd crankset (FSA SLK Carbon) back on and its running sweet as a nut.

Still have blisters on the soles of my feet from walking down the Glen Fruinn!

• Life Members

So bike is back.

Damage to the seat stay is superficial (first scratch is always the worst init).

Shop have replaced the chain and rear mech (with the new ultegra version no less) and put the originally spec'd crankset (FSA SLK Carbon) back on and its running sweet as a nut.

Still have blisters on the soles of my feet from walking down the Glen Fruinn!

Stevie ......... in the words (or lyrics) of Sheryl Crow (Lance Armstrong ex-girlfriend  :grin: )

......... "The first cut is the deepest" ........... :grin:

https://youtu.be/dK9eLe8EQps

Glad it all worked out in the end though ............

• Life Members

Why ?

Billy, it's the issue of new disc brakes/through axle etc. which alters the chain-stay's geometry that render pretty much all "existing" chain sets have compatible issues with this S3 disc frame.

Read this if you're interested, go to page 2 specifically referring to Stevie's S3 disc:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140944&hilit=disc+bike+chain+issues&start=15

However, in Stevie's mechanical on Sunday, it's more to do with the "quick-link" failing that the fault of the chain-set!

Don't you just love "progress"? :-)

Cheers