Tech challenge

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

I know how you love a tech challenge. I have searched high and low for a decent quality 24h rear hub for a winter project.

Only options seem to be DT Swiss, Hope and Dura Ace. So starting about £190. Was thinking more something in the ultegra league.

Then I found Via road hubs which looks a bit more promising at £130.

Anyway, any suggestions or anyone have a nice 24h hub on a knackered rim they might want to convert into greenbacks?

It goes without saying Shimano compatible :)

• Members

Novatec make 24-hole, Shimano-compatible hubs:

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

I haven't used Novatec road hubs before, but I've got a pair of their track hubs on my TT wheels. They're good quality for the price.

You can order from BDop confidently if you can't find the hubs in the EU. The most expensive model will cost substantially less than £130, even taking into account the cost of shipping and possible import charges.

• Life Members

Paul, looking at your list & low spoke count there, I'm assuming you're looking at something for your "good summer" bike even though you said it's a "winter project", right?

I had a set of wheels with DT Swiss 240 rear hubs, there were great hubs, smooth bearings, a fairly unique "ratchet system" & fairly light weight, the free-hub was a doddle to take off/swop/service as no tools were required. I would recommend them if you cannot find other alternatives, obviously it goes without saying Dura Ace is the bees knees & you already know that :-)

Again, I'm assuming you're looking for something in the price category of Ultegra which is around the £90-100 mark, but do Ultegra do 24 holes?

I'm sure Richard will be along soon :-)

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Novatec make 24-hole, Shimano-compatible hubs:

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp

I haven't used Novatec road hubs before, but I've got a pair of their track hubs on my TT wheels. They're good quality for the price.

You can order from BDop confidently if you can't find the hubs in the EU. The most expensive model will cost substantially less than £130, even taking into account the cost of shipping and possible import charges.

Haha ............ sooner than I thought :-)

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks guys, got some options now. I have a Novatec on the wheel and I think I got a bad one. So just going to change it out, that said I have had no problem with Novatec on my track wheels but then again it is the freehub that is the problem so obviously not an issue on a track wheel.

:)

• 2024 Subscriptions

Hi Paul

I would have a look at http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/

He builds several wheels with 24h rear. He also uses the Novatec hubs but only recommends them for dry summer use.

The Miche Primato is highly recommended for all weather, and it is cheap!