Restricted Gear plus 13

• Life Members

Hello There,

A few of us "Vlaanderen" bound Wheelers who were desperate for some km made a late arrangement to do a longish run yesterday.

Seven of us - Alex B, David C, Eric, Iain McGinty, PaulL, Ritchie & myself all met at the bridge for an early 9am start, doing the Dunnon run via Dumbarton, Helensburgh, Whistlefield, Arrachor, The Rest (old valley road), then Struchur (loooooong cafe stop) Dunoon ferry, then back on dry land for a slog back home via the Westferry.

We couldn't have picked a better day in terms of picture perfect scenery especially round the loch sides were just stunning - still water with perfect reflection of the landscape, our photographer in residence - David Bailey AKA Alex Baird took some brilliant snaps along the way, hope he has time to show it. Alex, please don't just show the ones with you bike, by the way :-)

We worked as a group very nicely, keeping everyone together until I struggled big time just before Dunoon (I think it was the pork & teritzo burger & chips that I had) but thanks to the others, I kind of made it to port just in time to miss the ferry :-( Never a great feeling when you're on your knees.

Back on the mainland, pretty much the same for me, sucking on wheels unashamedly just to survive my toll back to Bishopton where upon I departed with the troops to head home solo. Thanks again for the wheels chaps, very much appreciated!

Got home eventually with 183km (112 miles in old money) on my Garmin and totally konked, still 70km shy of Vlaanderens distance, oh dear ..................

Anyway, lovely run despite my situation & apologies to Billy earlier on in the morning when we past just outside Paisley, I didn't clock it was you until we past. I assume you were on your way to the Velodrome?

I need more km ..............

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Thanks Chung (huge effort at 183km) and all fellow riders for a long day out around lochs and glens. Certainly pushed me to the limit at times and glad to be hanging on at the back. Lots of new carbon on show as the weather improves (bike envy started already)!

The café stop may have been long but I didn't hear a complaint, given the effects of good steady pace on the lochside rollercoaster to Arrochar and then a climb up the old military road.

Finally headed home up the clune brae rather than west ferry route, gave me less km in distance but a sting in the tail with more metres gained! 

Tired satisfaction felt last night.