plean 29th Nov 15

Alan McLean

• Committee

Those of a more biblical bent and any common sense would have been building an ark this morning. But a bunch of us were aquaplaning up the M80 to the lovely park at Plean in the worst (ie best) conditions for a couple of years.

Top marks to Stirling BC for organisation and electronic timing despite the mudbath. They had a rather excellent food stand selling, amongst other delights,  haggis and salsa burritos which made a change from the usual disgusting snack stalls which seem to infect every venue (Strathclyde Park, I am looking at you)

The youths raced in torrential freezing rain, some in skinsuits, fingerless gloves and 5% bodyfat which was not really very sensible and there were hypothermia casualties. I did not see any Jets in the U12 but the vis was only about 50m through the sheets of rain and I may have missed someone. Only Hamish in the U16 who did well to even finish.

By the time Mike, James and I started  in the V50s the deluge had changed to sleet and coated all the smooth track with extra slippy slush. This was the most fun course of the year. Other than hurdles it was all rideable and a great mix of terrain including a 50m mud trench. I ran super low pressures on cheap clinchers and got great traction and no punctures, although crossed my fingers when hitting roots. Had some good battles and gained a few places at the hurdles which will be a surprise to anyone who has watched my comedy fails on same.

Stayed on to savour Davie suffering in the v40s and looking very good. I got a 2nd which was nice, beaten by the amazing Brendan Roe by a literal mile. No podium girls because it was too horrible to wait around. Off to Irvine to get a kicking at the Nationals next week. You're all too late to enter but it makes a nice ride down from the clubrooms.

Alan, 

Excellent result for you! and cheers for the support round the course.

Would concur it was a brilliant and uber fun course and after a not so good start I ended up in a 3 way battle for most of the race which always makes it worthwhile and didn't get lapped which is always a bonus.

Better than the turbo our chundering roon' the coast in my book.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Alan, fantastic, I think you get a double chapeau for that. Think I'll have a double gin to celebrate your success. Talking of doubles...sorry wrong place wrong time.

And at least a single chapeau for anyone who actually took part in that today. True grit.

Davy - turbo can be quite good especially when you have a coffee break and Mr Couttie makes you a brew,

:)

Aye.....but still need to find a minute or so....per lap!

I do like a bit of analysis of these Mylaps things and the relative perfomances of who you are actually mixing it up with during the races, have definately improved fitness wise over the series so a bigger push for next season to actually be prepared for 1st race should be priority.

Really enjoying the season and can't stress how much fun it is for anyone wanting to give it a go.