Paris & PBP 2015 starts to slip away as the 600km ride approaches!

Paris & PBP 2015 starts to slip away as the 600km ride approaches!

Tuesday morning 2nd June

Go to put my cycling glasses on and they brake in half at the bridge. I have a 600 this weekend what do I do.

Well I got to work and got the opticians to send up new frames and I will swap the lenses over. Also encase there no there in time repaired the other ones with glue and a pin, not pretty but they worked.

Thursday 4th June

I get to work and have been watching the weather for the weekend it was not good. The event is cancelled, goodbye Paris.

But

I get a late entry to a Pair of Kirtons 600 starting Poynton at 6.00am on Saturday 6th June just perfect.

Route

Saturday 6th June

Poynton – start 06.00hr

It’s cool with a strong westerly breeze. This part of the route is through houses & road junctions to Greenfield - 18 miles 1st control. Card stamped and the climb up to Saddleworth Moor at a height of 492m this is the high point on the ride and the only climb worth a mention. We wiz down and over rolling roads to Asken - 57 miles, food in a subway second breakfast of the day. The roads are flat to Brough we think we are in Belgium with the twists & turn on the flat roads, we even catch up on a local cycling club on their club run who we toe along for a couple of mile. Brough - 94 miles. Lamb burger, chips coffee coke for early lunch its midday.

The next section was hard as it was into the wind the ride over the Humber bridge was good what a view, Robert and I were cycling on sum of the roads we had ridden on in 2005 London Edinburgh London, we reached Gainsborough - 134 miles more food in Morison café to refill the legs. It had been a hard section and it took the next section for my legs to recover even thought it was with a tail wind to Wragby - 158 miles. The next section to Boston was flat we also had the wind partly on our back so we reach Boston - 189 miles at 9.30pm halfway. As you all know the wind drops at sunset normally we were hoping it would for us as we had 109 mile into it, well it did. Corby Glen - 218 miles was reached at 11.35pm this was a sleep stop if you wished but Robert and I decided to push on in the dark to make use of the wind dropping as it would be back at sunrise.

Sunday 7th June

Donington - 257 miles reached as the sun is coming up, it’s cold as the sky was cloudless another subway breakfast. We set of and pass Donington racing track half way to Stone it get warm and all the night cloths are strip of and packed into the bag, its quit lump on this stretch. Stone - 301 miles. It’s warm in the sun on the way to Prees heath we end up on some of the roads that we road when we were doing the 24hr tt the last one I road was 2003 and the Johnstone wheelers CC won the veteran team for the most miles covered the last two miles to Prees heath was on a very busy road you had to have your wits about you on it, as you had been on the go for quite some time Prees Heath - 327 miles only 46 mile to go this passes quickly we also pass  Jodrell Bank on the way . Poynton - 373 miles is reached at 2.35 on Sunday afternoon in the sun. 32hr 35 minutes for the ride 6 hour of the bike 26 hours 35 minutes riding time and a lot of water and food but I will be going to Paris. See me? See happy?

Monday 8th June

BACK TO WORK

Campbell