Which Wheels?????????

Mark O

This is addressed to all the techno and weight weenies in the club.

I need new wheels!!!! - 2 pairs more likely, to be exact.

My work horse winter wheels are done, rims worn and hubs are probably past their best after 3 winters. They have served me well, including the Pave at P-R, and I'm looking to replace these with something similar - Shim R501 / RS11 / RS21 are in my thinking. I don't want to break the bank with these as they will be used for commuting, winter and wet rides and I expect to them to get regularly thrashed. General thots on this welcome.

My sunday rear wheel looks like it may be gubbed. If it is indeed gubbed, what are the recommendations from the masses on factory built replacements of a comparable performance or should I go for bespoke handbuilt ones, again what would people recommend. My current Sunday wheels are Mavic Kysrium SL (2011/12). My budget is no more than £500 and I am not particularly hung up on weight. Constructive and informative comments welcome.

Cheers

M

• 2023 Subscriptions

As for the winter wheels Mark, the Shimano R501 are unbeatable i find. I'm on my 2nd pair since 2009, and I commute all winter and ride Sundays with the bunch, so loads of miles in horrible weather and horrible road conditions. I've honestly never had one go out of true and you can get them as cheap as chips... I know Thomsons stock them..

Only thing is they're not 11 speed compatable...

McGinty......

Get yourself some American Classics fairly light 1400 or get some Carbon rims built

And get some hope hubs built for winter hubs last forever £ 350 ish

Guest George

I got American Classics from Thomsons- 10/11 speed compatible.

They are 1400 Grammes yet have 32/36 spokes so are light yet bombproof.

Good enough to race on-think Charlie has a pair too?

£425.

Magic Kysrium Equipe lasted me 6 winters, including a couple of years when I was 15 stone.

• Committee

I also recommend shimano 500/501s for your winter bike. They come with skewers and rim tape which are worth about 15 quid anyway, and adjustable hubs so you can change/repack the bearings but mine never last long enough for this.

I don't buy nice nice winter wheels (unless you have pots of money) because the rims go so fast. Sure you can get new rims but that's another 100 quid per pair plus hassle and you can't see posh logos under the grime so who cares?

Also I wrecked two rims on potholes this winter. Replaced with brand new 501's for the price of a tank of diesel. It would have been awful to ding some lovely handbuilt wheelset.

Alan

Ok winter/commuting wheels - cheap and cheerful R501s at the price of a tank of diesel, or indeed less. With the commie games causing road carnage on the southside, these will pay for themselves in two weeks of leaving the car at home.

Nice wheels, dunno yet. If Al at wheelcraft can resurrect my rear wheel then perhaps the credit card can remain unmelted.........this month.

Cheers for the comments.

Guest Kennyb

Rose bikes often do good deals on shimano wheels. I got a pair of rs10s recently for 70 inc postage. I then sold my old 501s for 75 on eBay!

Great wheels.