Cobble stones are weird things.....

gregbalden

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'm sitting around, being particularly lazy, filling my time watching the Paris-roubaix highlights on ITV4....yes, I'm quite late...

I said after the sportive ' Blimey! That was hard. I will NEVER ride the pave again!!'

But!...watching this and seeing Boonen (in particular) ace the pave, I'm thinking, blimey, I want back on!! And like the commentary said ' once you learn to ride the pave, it becomes your best friend.'

Why am I drawn back to these stones?

Just a thought....

Greg

• Life Members

Greg,

I'm with you on the "Pave" love affair, at first - I absolutely f**king hate it, but by the end I'm totally in love :-)

There is a longer version - Paris Roubaix Sportive, host by the local Roubaix Velo Club, only on every even years. The next one is this coming June if you fancy it again.

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/

I would like to do it again for sure! :-)

Yours "Pavorian"

• 2023 Subscriptions

I'd quite like to try the flanders sportive again, although I did say, never ever!

Hmm this does sound interesting. But that distance and those cobbles would make for an 'interesting' day!

Never say never....

Greg

• 2023 Subscriptions

Reminds me of the quote from Theo de Rooy: "it's bollocks this race! You’re working like an animal, you don’t have time to piss, you wet your pants. You’re riding in mud like this, you’re slipping, it’s a piece of shit…â€

Interviewer “Will you ever ride it again?â€

de Rooy, “Sure, it’s the most beautiful race in the world!â€