A91 or A977

ginty001

• 2023 Subscriptions

Looking for some advice folks....

Riding to Cupar, Fife on Friday.... I know my route out to Stirling, but am unfamiliar with the roads in Clackmanan and Fife...

Does anyone have advice as to which is the best "cycling" road to get from Stirling to Cupar...

The choices would appear to be :-

1) A91 - Alva, Tilicoultry, Dollar, Muckart, etc

2) A977 - Kincardine Bridge, Ramblng Bridge, Kinross, eventually joining the A91...

Any help much appreciated..

Cheeers

Ian

Not 100 per cent but I'm pretty sure it goes to Kinross at least Ian just keep the water on your right hand side and you'll be heading the right direction not much else I can tell you as I've never ridden it but the roads are in pretty good condition out that way

Ginty,

Been on the sustrans site for a quick look see. Appears to be full route details available, much of which is traffic free track out towards Dumfermline and beyond. I find starting at my destination and working back to my starting point the best way to plan treks in 'undiscovered country'.

Let us know how you get on. 500 words entitled 'Ginty goes East' by Monday morning

ian im inow 99 per cent certain the cycle path runs from the Clackmananshire Bridge / Kincardine Bridge all the way into Rosyth at least here you could skirt round Dunfermline , Cowdenbeath into Glenrothes and onto Cupar via A914

Looking forward to reading your travel report

Greig Ohyadancer!

Ian,

Greigs route would suit going by Knockhill to head towards Kinross. I used to ride those roads of an evening when I was working in Dunfermline a couple of years ago before I headed home. All suitable for road bike. Not sure about the cycle path going all the way to Rosyth though. If it was me I would stick to the main road from the Kincardine Bridge into Rosyth but sections of that road are narrow and can be busy with heavy traffic at times.

Other than that I have a Job in Cupar (St Johns Church) at the moment and was loking at the roads from the Clackmananshire Bridge through Kinross with a view of riding to St Andrews. More direct than Greigs route. Roads may be a wee bit busier but did not cause me concern when last there.

Probably not much help The bloke's not well...

Colin.

For anyone interested, here's a 200k route from Bishopton to St Andrews http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/bishopton-sct/bishop-to-saint-route-130677935. For Cupar I would take the A913 (Cupar Rd) from Newburgh.

If I were doing the route as a non-audax route, I would personally head for Dunblane, go to Braco via the B8033, on to Muthill, then Crieff and over to Perth by the road that leaves a Crief as Dollerie Terrace (can't find a number for it) this runs more or less parallel to the A85, but is much quieter and passes close to Tibbermore. At Perth head for Abernethy, on to Newburgh and then on to Cupar as above.

I did this route last year from Dunblane with Adam and never felt it was particularly busy except when I missed the road out of Crieff and ended up on the A85.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Eventually settled for the following :-

Erskine Bridge, Stockiemuir, Killearn, Fintry, Carron Valley then the wee single track over to St Ninian (Stirling), over the Clackmannanshire Bridge, east to Dunfermline, Kingseat, Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly, Cardenan, Kinglassie, Glenrothes, Cupar and the final destination of Carphin House... the first beer never even touched the sides on the way down..

I pretty much had a tailwind all the way apart from the Kincardine to Dunfermline stretch, the last bit from Glenrothes to Cupar when the wind had really picked up and goes between pan flat and slightly downhill was a hoot at 27-33mph for about 13 miles without working very hard...103.1 miles in total

the first part of the journey to Stirling was very scenic, i love that wee singe track from Carron Valley Dam into St Ninian's, not the best surface, but I like the remoteness and the views from the top are awesome... cycling through Fife didn't give me the same fuzzy feeling though, quite a few really inconsiderate drivers en route, and it is such a shame to see some of the mining villages that I assume were once bustling with energy and character now looking really tired and lifeless places..

I then proceeded to completely overindulge in food and bevvy for 2 days, undoing any good i might have done on the trip through..

:)