Marshalls Required

Alan

VC Astar are organising the WOSCA road race championship on Sunday 24th of July. As this is a WOSCA event they have requested that each club offers 2 marshalls / helpers.

This is a requirement that we need to fulfill otherwise we may be looking at a suspension. Any volunteers before we need to start twisting arms?

PS you need to be a SCUI member to be able to marshall.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Folks a bit dissapointed that nobody has volunteerd to help out marshalling this race.

If we dont get anyone down to help out then the JWCC will be banned from racing! :angryfire:angryfire

This means myself and other riders like Kat and anyone else who holds a race licence will not be able to compete in SCU cycling events.

You must hold a SCU licence to be able to marshall events.

Can this be brought up at the next comm meeting please!!

Stevie B.

ps. does being a British Cycling member, qualify you to marshal in a SCUI race?

and last, but not least I suspect, there are only a few "racers" out of the 60 ish members in the club that benefit from a BC/SCU racing licence, so we really can't expect other non-racers to cover for us when this sort of situation crops up. It looks like Sharon, Paul and Darryl are off the hook this time, so lets see who else regularly participates and then go from there.

Pete

Marshalling duties for the VC Astar event on Sunday are covered with myself and Stevie attending.

The subject of marshalls will certainly be broached at the next committee meeting however at the end of the day it is the responsibility of racers who hold BC licenses to ensure that they take ownership to ensure that these obligations are met.

The club are doing a lot to promote new members and provide a forum for riding in an environment which is enjoyable and friendly. In this regard we have been very successful.

The nature of the club at the moment is that at this point in the "cycle" it is more of a social and less of a racing club - instance the number of members who are participating in RR and TT and then compare this to the attendees at the club confined events and Sunday runs.

In such a situation is is encumbent upon all racers to do their bit not only to support themselves but also the new racers who may emerge from the influx of relatively new members.

I would remind everyone that the club are running an Open 25 at Eglinton Park on Sunday 25 September and at least a dozen helpers will be required for this.

Claire and Pete thank you very much for your offer of help which I hope the club can benefit from in September.

hi folks!

Can I just add my name to the list of those who marshalled last year in order to ensure riders like Kat werent prevented from competing...I forget what the event was - think it was the Scottish mens RR champs - but the penalty was the same if marshalls werent provided from our club. Donald Scally's wife - Lesley? was also with myself and Sharon that day....and I think there was only Donald competing from our club so it wasnt as if the men were all racing!!

Apologies for my great excuse of being too pregnant to step in and help out this year!

hope to make it out for another timekeeping session before the twins arrive (end of September) but finding myself struggling to do much more than put my feet up in between work and sporadic bouts of tiling and diy in the flat!!

cheers

Kelly

Myself and Ian Manson turned up on saunday morning to help out as marshalls for the WOSCA 91 mile road race scottish championship.

Turned out that the VC Astar had all the main points on the route well covered plus with the help of 3 motorbikes , 1 1st aid car , 2 main cars and a back up supply car.

Well organised!

As Tom Forbes was the chief commisar and Alastair roberts was 2nd commisar it was decided that i would go with Tom and Ian would go with Alastair.

The thought of sitting a car for more than 3.5 hrs was a dreadful thought at 1st. :roll: However it turned out to be a spectacal!

for me sitting in the car watching all the race from the rear of the main bunch was superb.

I had some jobs to do whilst sitting in the vehicle, take note of the numbers who got dropped , crashed and take regular Time checks.

Good experience!

Mr Manson had an even better view of the breakaway which i am sure must have been something else.

3 crashed in total with Arthur Doyle + Abrahams Velo ecosse rider coming down on different parts of the transmitter descent.

The break was Stuart Mcgreggor and Evan Oliphant.

as the race came back into Darvel close to the finish stuart came down on a descent.

Knowing him crashes dont bother him so he got back on his bike , Evan waited on him till he got back on then Evan jumped to the finish line winning the event.

Stuart battled 2nd place with Gordon Murdoch 3rd.

Having watched this i can say that Road racing aint for me , just looked brutal.

The pace was so fast at times that it was only a matter of time for the bunch began to break up and split.

Stevie B.

Following on from the brief report that Stevie gave there is an excellent write up on the event at this page on the Braveheart site,

http://www.braveheartfund.com/newsdetai ... =147&DID=1

As Stevie had mentioned I was in the car following the leaders and it was quite simply an awesome and scary experience :shock:

As they say on tv "dont try this at home",,,,, in fact anywhere for that matter.