Sunday 2nd Feb 2014 - Reliability #1 - Tour of Renfrewshire

Ramsay

Guys

On a serious note the lack of bunch riding skills was evident today especially into the wind on the Westferry the pace carried from 20 to 15.5 mph all that does is increase the chance of crashes as frequently I had to apply my brakes to stop running into other riders

Some may say so what but it was a reliability ride and we all should be able to ride in a bunch but maybe some development is required

Simple fixes

1 ride close to the rider next to you not 3 foot apart

2 frequent changes makes riding into the wind easier

3 When changing outside rider inform inside rider that your moving across inside rider ease off a bit outside rider do not accelerate just stay at same pace and move over when the space becomes available

Simple maybe we could try it

Totally agree with MacB, one or two near things when the pace dropped off dramatically - this is becoming a feature of the bunch of late i.e the pace sitting at 20ish mph then dropping to mid teens. If you can't maintain the pace at the front for whatever reason, do a short turn, get off and tell the rider coming thru what you're doing. Just as important that the pace doesn't surge the other way either for the most part - pre habble sections excluded.

Can I add its important as 'last man' on the inside line you anticipate and take the last wheel as it comes past you. You shouldn't have to accelerate to close a gap. If you don't take this wheel you are expending energy unnecessarily. I have to say at one or two points yesterday the usual 2 clear lines all but disintregrated with plenty of gaps and half wheeling - perhaps a combination of the strong wind and the varying pace. You should be riding handlebar to handle bar with the guy next to you. Don't be shy pointing this out to riders who don't perhaps know this and them that should know better......and check under your arm to see if the is a gap is there before moving across.

2 minutes on the naughty step everyone!