Tour of Scotland, anyone

martin

• 2023 Subscriptions

this from from cyclingnews.com today. As one of my friends says, tough choice for riders: Giro d'Italia or Tour of Scotland?

Tour of Scotland arrives

Next year will mark the inauguration of a new UCI stage race, the Tour of

Scotland. The five day race is has been granted a slot on the UCI calendar

from May 26-30, 2004 and will cover some 600 miles, possibly visiting cities

such as Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, and Inverness, according to an article

scotlandonsunday.com.

"[The Tour of Scotland] would provide cycling in this country with a major

boost by raising awareness of the sport," said Graeme Herd, Scottish Cycling

national coach. "This, in addition to the Fort William Mountain Bike World

Cup, would really put Scotland on the map."

Race promoter IMG is said to have sponsors in line for the event, but is

also seeking public support, and is in contact with various sports and

tourism bodies in Scotland.

• Members

Martin

you will get the chance to ride the Real tour of Scotland :wink:

I am planning a 10 stage race for next season which real bikies can ride.Stages confirmed are:-

Dumfries

Lanarkshire

Renfrewshire

Stirling

Perth

Fife

with Edinburgh, Dundee, Lochaber, and Argyle in planning stage.

Event is an APR series with points for various categories.

Restricted entry to members of organising clubs and riders who sign up for the whole series.

Watch this space for details.

ps if your mate at Rothesay fancies running an event tell him to get in touch asap

• Members

The club will be allocated a maximum of 8 riders for this event next year, if you fancy racing in a national event lets see why you should get a slot.

Remember you would be required to ride all events whichwill be spread out from April to September ( none in July)

The race is aimed at all abilities , hence it is an APR series and not a road race series.

I am throwing my name in the hat as a rider ( health permitting) reason :-

I should be included

a) I can coach /advise from the bunch

B) its my race

c) I deserve a bit of self indulgence every now and then

who wants to join me?

Send why you should get a slot in race to the bunch

Kenny,here goes with my tuppence worth. :(

a)I got a wee tingle down my spine at the thought.

b)Would give me target to train for through winter.

c)Am in process of reading Lance's training book!

d)Would justify to my wife my rather expensive steed!!!

e)Would like to be part of strong team representing club at these events and

a workhorse for team-mates with greater finishing potential than myself.

f)Even in adversity I can manage a smile :lol:

Right that's my shout in.

Hi Kenny,

Sounds like a great format. With so many riders from each club competing I wonder what kind of tactical racing you'll see. :?: Teams working to close down breakaways? Slowing down lead groups for star riders to catch up? Or Stevie digging in with a few wheelers 3up style to rip the field apart :lol: Perhaps a series prize could be for the most consistent club (encouraging people to complete the series and not bail out halfway). An event like this will guarantee good press for local cycling. Great stuff

SD

• 2023 Subscriptions

from www.procycling.com/news

Tour of Scotland begins to take shape

The first concrete details of the much-rumoured Tour of Scotland are beginning to emerge. The five-day race has been approved by the UCI and will run from May 26-30. It will be categorised as a 2.3 level stage race, which should ensure a decent field of pro riders, many of whom will no doubt be well into their preparations for the Tour de France, which follows little more than five weeks later.

The IMG sports management and marketing company is behind the establishment of the new event. It was reported in the Scotsman newspaper last weekend that sponsors have been found to cover the budget of £2m. Various Scottish tourist and sporting bodies are also heavily involved in the project.

There are no confirmed route details as yet, but the Scotsman reported that the route would cover a large part of the country. Oban, Dundee, Inverness and Aberdeen are being tipped as stage towns. Glasgow and Edinburgh are likely to feature prominently as well, probably as start and finish locations of the race.

Although no details of teams have yet been released, the organisers would undoubtedly be hoping to attract Scot David Millar. IMG have stated that they expect a field of about 100, and add that the race will have a global TV audience.

Graeme Herd, the national coach at Scottish Cycling, told the Scotsman: "It would provide cycling in this country with a major boost by raising awareness of the sport. There are a lot of negative perceptions of cycling in Britain, principally because of the weather, and through people riding irresponsibly in cities and towns.

"A professional Tour of Scotland could help alter that, and there could be positive spin-offs in terms of promoting cycling as a healthy sport, and as a means of sustainable transport."

The race is part of a strategy put together by the Scottish government to establish the country as a recognised location for major international events. A 12-year plan has been drawn up and will be overseen by EventScotland, an agency backed by a budget of £10 million.

:) hi,sounds an excellent idea.

i know i'm not 1st choice material or even 8th for that matter.

there are a lot of guys 'n' gals quicker than me.

i'm looking forward to winter training.

if given the chance,i'm commited(or should be),unselfish,have novice keeness,

i'm strong(sick bag moment)not a bad all rounder and i've stopped using dust caps.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny,

I would like to be considered (as Mr Brogan has so eloquently stated) for participation in this event.

Why?? because I think you already have more than 8 volunteers and I just love to see my teamates coping with the adversity of tough decision making !!!!

Isnt it character building :):)