Arran Again and Again

P McDonald

• 2023 Subscriptions

Some who missed out last time have mentioned this so ....Would there be much appetite for another sortie this year on Saturday 24th August? 7am ferry, I was home for 1.15pm last time and rode up and down to Ardrossan. But I need to be honest, this doesn't really mean you are totally 'available' for the rest of day - I went to bed and struggled to get up after 3 hours. Ohyadancer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Subscriptions

Well this would be so much fun with some more riders. Why not join the exclusive club which now includes Billy and Ross(hisss). All it takes is 2h50m of snot, sweat and spells if you feel up to it.

Btw Ross, if you read this then your substantial horsepower would be very welcome if you want to do it again :), in fact my legs made a special request,

So who is in?

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Still up for this. Please don't make Paul and I do a two up on this. Paul has been dragging me around more than enough miles this season!

George, I think that was yourself volunteering to put a shift in? Go on 2 hours 50 of snot, sweat and tears!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Left side brain report,

Job done. Again. Andy joins the club. Average speed 20.13mph. Average speed when me, Ross and Billy did it one month ago 20.06mph. Ross you're a donkey. A fat one. :) fair to see we were motivated to beat the speed.

Right side brain report

On a wonderful late summer morn it was good to see Mr Anonymous, of Ayrshire, join me and Andy for the ferry trip. Even more wonderful when he duly provided 1/3 of the horsepower for the first 30 miles before opting to head over The String. With a strong NNW wind at Ardrossan we opted for an anti clockwise route. However the wind was almost non existant on Arran and when we turned at Lochranza I noted the flat sea and not the expected howling tail wind. So we just had to man up and get on with it. South end was truly magnificent with sparkling views to the Holy Isle and Ailsa Craig and Andy's hub. People were out on the beach enjoying the sun. We were just out of our boxes.

Can I think of a better way to spend a glorious late summer morn, mmm no.

In conclusion, chapeau Andy on a fine performance, thank you Mr Anonymous of Ayrshire for the input.

Is the double doable?

Ohyadancer!

• 2023 Subscriptions

Paul

Superb ride report. Special thanks to our ghost rider who stayed with us around to Blackwaterfoot, all souls putting in decent turns, good discipline and spirits. Lack of anticipated tailwind after Lochranza was disappointing to put it mildly. After Blackwaterfoot proceedings became a two man TT and over the last 15 miles or so Andy's hub became a rarer and rarer sight as the tiredness and pain set in. I had my last Muesli bar coming out of Whiting Bay so when the curtains started closing on the climb out of Lamlash I knew I was cooked. Paul was positive, vigilant and encouraging all the way making sure I held his wheel. Pace dropped to 19.94 at this point. Once the summit was made spirits rose and a good 30 to 40 mile decent saw us easily get well over the 20mph.

I reckon a two ferries 110 miler is possible but it would require a bunch to do the 55 miler with those doing 110 hiding for the first half?

Andy

Guest J. Udas

Good shift boys!

Did Colin wave you off again?

If we had maxed out at 8.4 MPH for the first 15 miles, no names will be mentioned lol! I'm getting the boat tonight can't have Andy being faster than me! Even if he did get pulled round

• 2023 Subscriptions

Good shift boys!

Did Colin wave you off again?

If we had maxed out at 8.4 MPH for the first 15 miles, no names will be mentioned lol! I'm getting the boat tonight can't have Andy being faster than me! Even if he did get pulled round

Yay! Paul he's no donkey. Fresh fish landed for tea tonight!

Andy