Saturday 9th February

Iain Cowden

Forecast looking not too bad at present so I'll be out again for some 50-60 miles at 9.30am from Miller St on Saturday.

Pace average about 16mph - route determined by conditions/suggestions on the day - if it's frosty again a variation on the coast most likely - many more of those and I'll be coming in and out with the tide!

Company very welcome for those it suits.

Thanks

Iain

• Life Members

Hi Iain & All,

I cannae make it this Saturday, I'm going fishing with my son. Any suggestion on good fishing locations guys? Stoooopid! yes, I know this is a cycling forum.

Have a good one chaps & hope weather is grand for you!

Cheers

Chung

• Life Members

Iain,

I'm completely hopeless at it, tried it a few times and only thing I caught was a cold!

My boy seems to really like it, we're thinking about Loch Long near Arrachor to do some sea loch fishing. Is that any good?

Are you a keen angler, Iain? Any good tips will be very much appreciated, mate!

Cheers

Chung

• 2023 Subscriptions

Chung,

I used to do a bit, not sure there's much fishing in Loch Long this time of year, especially for kids, unless you hire a boat there, you're more likely to lose all your lures, hooks,etc, on the rocky bottom.... if you've got a local fishing shop, you should give them a call, they will tell you where's best to go at this time of year... no point in going somewhere in the freezing cold if there's not much chance of any action... you could try PM'ing Gordon Goldie (Hertz Van Rental), i believe he's a real keen angler...

cheers

Ian

Another fine day on the bike in good company! Ian McG, Alan F, Kenny C and I met at the Smiddy in good time to ride over to Miller St for 9.30. All went well till Crosslee where I carelessly ran over a shard of glass with inevitable consequences!

At the clubrooms we met lots of faces, some of them new to me. Apologies if I miss anyone or get a name wrong, but in addition to the above mentioned there was Emma, Andrew, another Alan, Bill T, Boyd, David T,Peter and Robin. So 12 of us set off. I held us up again just before Bowfield with another flat due to a dogdy valve on a new tube! Thanks to Kenny C for assistance and Andrew for the magic gas cannister (for the tyre sadly, not me)!

We climbed Bowfield at our own pace, re-grouping at the top in misty conditions. From there over to Lugton, Dunlop (where AlanF headed off to Neilston due to time constraints), then on to Stewarton. From Stewarton we took the Irvine road as far as Cunninghame Head where we took a right on thru' Benslie, skirting Kilwinning, up the sharp hairpin, before crossing the Lugton/Irvine road, then on to the White road back to Barrmill. From there down to Beith, taking the B road from below the cemetery over to the Hungry Monk and down to Lochwinnoch - one further puncture ( for Boyd) and a minor mechanical along the way.

At Lochwinnoch some returned via the track, whilst Emma, Andrew, Bill T, Boyd, David T, Kenny, Ian and I headed over Johnshill towards Kilmacolm. Once over the tops David, then Emma peeled off - David for home, Emma to head over the track to Kilbirnie, returning to BOW "for some flat miles". Chapeau indeed!

At Kilmacolm, Andrew and Boyd headed homeward via the track, whilst the rest of us headed over Westglen road. At the end of that we parted company with Bill, with the remaining three headed over to Bishopton via the Monkey House to Bishopton. That was home for Ian and Kenny peeled off for the bridge and home to Milngavie, with me heading home via Renfrew, where I saw Alan McLean heading in the opposite direction.

So another good run despite minor mechanical irritations and the rain mainly stayed away . Folk declined a cafe stop preferring to head for home .

I had almost exactly 80 miles door to door. Thanks again to all for the company and patience with the punctures. Rider of the day was Emma in my book - coped well in the bunch, pedalled efficiently and seemed strong thru'out - then set off for more.

Will post again for next Saturday if it suits anyone.

Iain