Saturday 12th January

Iain Cowden

Hoping to get out on Saturday morning for some 50-60 miles from the clubrooms - say 9.30am start? Pace purposeful but not frantic - more concerned with getting some miles in over the week-end.

Weather looks fine but cold, so am happy to leave a route choice till the morning - will think about it on the ride over and am open to any suggestions on the day. Not adverse to a cafe stop, but would prefer it towards the end of the run.

Company most welcome - please post if interested and I'll check here Friday Pm.

Thanks

Iain

• Life Members

Iain,

In light of the un-favourable weather forecast for Sunday, I'll be coming out with you too!

I'll be coming over from the west end with Richard but I might struggle to be on time & could be a bit late, so hopefully you'll wait for me (us)?

Thanks in advance & looking forward to see everyone tomorrow.

Cheers

Chung

Great run out today in fine company. Some 9 of us turned up at Miller St, including the lesser spotted Mr. Howard © - great to see you back on the bike Colin - it's been too long! Colin, Boyd, Chung, Ian McG, Andrew ( more that capable of "purposeful" and a few notches up from that I'd say!), Kenny C, Bill T, Richard and me.

Reports had it that the track was icy so we headed out to Howwood by the main road, taking the back road to Lochwinnoch - near there Colin headed into the high hills for some secret altitude training, whilst the rest of us took the main road from Lochwinnoch, through Kilbirnie to Dalry. From there up and over to West Kilbride. We agreed to take the climb out of Dalry at our own pace, re-grouping at the top.

There we agreed to head up the coast into the easterly wind, stopping at Gourock for coffee & grub. Thereafter, we joined forces with a Lomonds Road group to Bishopton, where we parted from Bill and Ian. Andrew and Kenny turned off at the Red Smiddy and Boyd at Renfrew whilst Richard, Chung and I carried on to Glasgow.

It was a really good club run, with riders co-operating and supporting one another - I actually don't like the coast road much at all, but it was a good shout today given obvious concerns over ice and some time constraints - I felt comfortable and safe throughout.

For me it was 78.4 miles door to door (so maybe 58-60 from the clubrooms?), averaging 15.6 mph. I was never out of the wee ring but know I've had a good workout and some much needed mileage.

So, thanks to all for turning out on an enjoyable day - just what I needed! Nice to meet Andrew and ride some miles with Bill & Boyd again. A number of folk seem interested in a regular Saturday club run over the next couple of months, so I'll post something similar for next week and see how it goes. Given time of year I'm again happy to leave the route choice until the day - tho' more than happy for others to suggest routes - a couple of possibilities mooted today were: Roseneath/Kilcreggan and maybe a wee trip across the water from Gourock.

Thanks again

Iain

• Life Members

Excellent day for cycling in good weather (cold but dry) & real club spirit!

Spotted Darrly, Charlie, Paul & a few other Joansins in the Renfrew bunch coming the other way heading into Largs. There was a lot of cyclist out on the road today which was great to see.

Thanks to Iain for posting the run & everyone that turned up which made it a really good one. It was good to catch up with a few faces that I've not seen for a while.

For me it feels strange to be out on a Saturday, but I can get use to it no doubt. ;-)

Hope to be out again next week!

Cheers

Good to see such a healthy well formed bunch. Not so sure about altitude training Iain but I was glad I set off on my own as I completely bonked at 28miles and spent the next 7 miles grovelling on complete empty The bloke's not well... ........oh well, got to start back somewhere.

Colin Hello,beer!! .