Lakeland Loop

As an alternative to the Fred (and half the price!), may I suggest this?

http://www.epicevents.co.uk/cycle-sportives/lakeland-loop-cycle-sportive-sunday-april-7th-2013.html

It follows almost the same route as the Fred but cuts out Kirkstone (and the 8 mile terror of the A66!) and replaces it with Dunmail Raise which is a decent climb from the Eastern side.

I've already entered, so more wheelers the better!

• 2024 Subscriptions

As an alternative to the Fred (and half the price!), may I suggest this?

http://www.epicevent...l-7th-2013.html

It follows almost the same route as the Fred but cuts out Kirkstone (and the 8 mile terror of the A66!) and replaces it with Dunmail Raise which is a decent climb from the Eastern side.

I've already entered, so more wheelers the better!

Good call Phil. I've also entered. Anymore? Imo this is a good alternative to the Fred.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alas had an e mail from the organisers of this to say that event has been cancelled due to the bad weather predicted. I am going to be going now anyway as have sorted out accommodation for family etc. for the weekend. Was wondering if any of you guys would be prepared to go and do the route anyway either on the Saturday or Sunday depending on what day the weather looks best. Darryl I knew you were down south anyway and might be up for it ? I think the organisers are playing very safe and noticed that the car parking was one of the reasons that the event was moved to the new start for the rearranged date of 21st April. Also the number of participants would have been a deciding factor so I reckon with a bit of luck, the route will be clear anyway and if not we could do an alternative.

Had a good time doing the Kirkstone pass which was mainly snow free but the gritters had been out so road surface was slightly difficult in places. Reckon the passes on the Lakeland Loop would have been closed as at the start of the climb over the Kirkstone the Road Closed sign was up but I pressed on after asking a lorry driver who was coming down what it was like and he said it was passable with care.The road was narrowed at the top where the snow had been shifted to the sides of the road so the organisers of the sportive were correct in their decision as the number of riders on these steep sections would have made it impossible. :icon_hee-haw

• 2 weeks later...