Sunday Main Bunch / "Pasta Training"

Mark O

• 2023 Subscriptions

Personally, I had a great day!! Apart from needing a new bottom bracket.

I turn up and ride thanks to other guys giving up their time to post routes; chapeau.

Mind you if I posted, who knows where we would end up? Stoooopid!

Sometimes I go out with the intermediates, other times with the main bunch. I have yet to have a bad experience. I will never be a racer but mostly I like the effort needed to ride in the main bunch. However sometimes I just want an easy day or only have time for a shorter ride. It wasn't that long ago that I considered 30 miles long distance!! I will always favour a cafe stop on long runs but some people might not or just plain do't have the time or inclination.

So all things considered we have a classic case of :you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. I think we generally do ok and I am sure few clubs have the luxury of three groups on a Sunday.

I think the Club is as friendly and welcoming as it can possibly be and any new member would agree. I am only in year three myself!

Anyway just thought i'd chuck in my tuppence before Doc McLean drinks himself into oblivion Hello, beer !!

Tom

:grin: Debate is healthy - like Tom I like the idea of the Intermediate group when I feel an easier ride is in order, but I like the main bunch as a challenge in terms of making steady improvements and as a gauge to see where my fitness levels are. I don't think there are many members who are overly concerned about 'getting a doing' on these runs as we are all capable of accepting that to improve means a bit of effort.

• Life Members

Thanks Tony!

What I was advocating wasn' t a Club Run for any particular individual but rather for everyone!

But like I said before, I'm an idealist!

It seems my idea is a long way from most folks preference, for that I have nothing further to add.

Happy Cycling!

Chung

• Life Members

Hi Billy,

I said what I felt was the ideal scenario, but obviously I'm in the minority here!

So, I suppose things remain as there are unless Mark who originally posted or anyone for that matter have further details to add.

Then again, can I vote for Cafe Stops please! :grin:

Chung

I'm keeping my head down after that hornet's nest was agitated. Sorry guys I didn't intend to cause a bunfight but clearly there was something to be stirred up.

For the record I'm happy with the main bunch runs, the longer and hillier, with a cafe stop chucked in, the better, but I'm only one of the larger group. The reason why I posted, and the contents of my post aren't necessarily my views, was to air what I had seen, heard, whatever of late, and felt we perhaps needed a reality check before we got so sucked down one route/road.

Generally, I think we get it mostly right based on the numbers turning out and the level of fitness developed and retained over the last 12 months. I think there have been a number of very valid points made over the piece and I don't think any single one should necessarily hold sway over another but what has been said shouldn't be dismissed because you don't agree with it.

To avoid the perception of being elitest, it has been muted wrongly in my opinion, we should actively seek to remain a broad church and promote ourselves as such, subject to sensible basic requirements on fitness and bike craft (ability to change a tube ahem). Because I'm still fairly new to the bunch, yes its just over a year, I'm still reasonably tuned into where I was when I joined the main bunch and how daunting it appeared at the time. Perhaps something we shouldn't lose sight of. We are in some circumstances only as strong as the weakest rider at times.

There are some strong characters in the bunch and there are undoubtedly competing individual goals - Italy/racing/sportives/fitness/achieving a ton whatever, I think we need to try and accommodate everyone's goals and aspirations to some extent as best we can. Finding the best balance is not easy but worth the effort/argument in my view.

This does need people to shout up on the forum when a route is posted, be it in terms of pace/cafe stop/distance etc. and not passively accept whats put down to them. If you have concerns about the proposed route or plan to do something slightly different then let it be known, discussed and resolved. Similarly if you think we have gotten it spectacularly wrong after the fact again don't keep it a secret. I'd rather ride in a bunch where everyone was content or at least satisfied with the day's proceeding, and half the battle there is knowing what you're signing up for as best you can, than one with on going grumbles.

Billy, did stick his neck out (looked ridiculous with that gut!) and posted suggested routes, these were just that - suggestions. Credit to McBagel for doing so. My post was not a pop at him, he gives me sufficient ammo as it is just breathing, or anyone else for that matter. Is there an answer? no idea tbh but Doc Maclean's liver is needing a rest.

Hopefully dummies will have been picked up and toys back in the pram, lets see if we can't remain the friendliest cycling club in Scotland even if we don't always see eye to eye. Did I happen to mention the one about the proposal to........