Energy & Recovery Gels

AllanC

I've been looking at the plethora of energy bars and gels available online and I'm wondering if they really are as good as the manufacturers would have you believe (and would have you pay)?

I'm beginning to think I would be just as well off stuffing a Mars bar or a banana in my jersey rather than spending the money they are looking for, but that might just be my frugal side coming out.

Does anyone in the club use them and if so, do you have any recommendations? Any thoughts welcomed.

Allan

I've always used them but my recent performances have made me wonder if they work.....or make me dread to think what I'd be like without!

I get blinded by the science but as I don't like bananas etc, I usually take a few.

Currently use the CNP ones....good enough for SKY, good enough for me.....and like them. Berry or Cola (high caffeine) and if I've read the labels correctly, in their 45g packet, they pack more than a larger 60g one so take up less room.

I'd certainly rather have them than have not!

Guess the racing snakes might be better placed to answer??

Firstly do they work yes as long as you understand what they do they are simply fuel in an easy digestable and portable form what they don't do is make you any stronger or faster

If you use to top up when out on long rides or really high intensity rides they can help to keep you going and not bonking what you have to look at is the full refueling package ie Hydration and eating remember to use before becoming empty

I use them when out on longer rides and sportives usually.every hour if working hard along with a decent carb drink what ones to use that's difficult some people react differently to them so trial and error to find what suits you I don't have a problem with any brand but some are very thick and sticky

Also note that you need to digest the gel so plan to eat before you need them

Loads of articles on internet on whether they actually are of any value I think the evidence suggests yes but only if you are going long and or hard

Just eat/graze when in the saddle. Little and often. Don't need to be gels etc. Bananas, dried fruit, flapjacks etc. Try not to eat mars bars, they'll give you a sugar/energy spike then tail off very quickly. Slow release is best. A mars bar or chocolate if you are already done in but in tandem with something else say a fruit slice or slice of fruit loaf.

I use a supermarket's (beginning with T) own brand choco chip muffin bars, individually wrapped for stuffing into pockets and a 50p for a box good value too. Throw in a couple of bananas and a cafe stop and you're good for 100 miles.

Main point to take is eat and drink before you feel you need to, its too late then. Feed/fuel well before you set out and then view your eating on the road as continually topping off the tank well before you get into the red.

M

Tried a CNP bar at the weekend and felt the benefits. Got it for 99p as a sample from their website.

You have to remember as well that as Jann said different bodies deal with energy bars in different ways. I've heard of folks getting cramps etc with some bars and not others.

Allowing potential customers to sample is a great idea. Trial & error springs to mind.

I use SIS Go gels. They are also isotonic so take care of the salt loss.

About £27 for a box of 30 online. The blackcurrant one doesnt taste too bad!

My usual supply on a 70 - 90 mile run is 1 banana, two cereal bars or flapjack and two gels (for near the end).

As Mark says dont leave it too late to top up.

• Committee

I use sis gels because they are a very convenient calorie hit which are fairly concentrated and can easily be eaten on the go. Bananas are nice but too heavy per calorie, chocolate melts, loose wine gums, raisins etc get sticky and most cereal bars are too dry with the glorious exception of kellogs elevenses bars.

All the gels are obscenely expensive bought singly but I usually get a box online much cheaper and then I always have a supply in the garage.

All of them contain a sugar solution and flavouring. Your body does not care what kind of sugar it is so I suggest you try a few, work out which you can like and has the most calories per buck, then buy a box of twenty online and keep it by your bike. I mix with bananas and elevenses but if you are on the rivet then bananas are a pain to peel and even elevenses turn to concrete ready mix in your mouth.

Also I suggest you make sure you can open them with your teeth. You may need to make a small nick with scissors prior to filling your pockets.

Alan

Alan, Great tip about snipping a nick in the cereal bar wrapper.

Had a few wobbly moments trying to open one whilst travelling at 20+ mph.

Bananas can be tricky - if you peel it down too far then half of it falls off when go over a bump!!

An old hand once gave me the tip of mixing coke (liquid variety) with water at a 50:50 ratio. He claimed the dilution made the coke easier for you body to absorb it straight into your system and took the fizz out the coke. I did try it for some time thereafter including doing LEJOG. Didn't do me any harm not sure if it made a significant difference.

M

• 2 months later...