gifford rr

Guest EPCC

120 entries for the A race anybody get in

120 for the B race as well not holding much hope of entry don't think I will travel if I get a reserve place fingers crossed we will all get places

B race start list not published but dont think the two fatter and older wheelers will get in skinny o neil may have a chance as its his first race.

So will either do hill set or join you on some pace training and an entry to the APR

• 2023 Subscriptions

would you credit it sick as a dog and my application for a place was successful. have written to organiser withdrawing so hopefully that pushes the rest of you up the ladder. ope to get back on bike tomorrow and if week goes well will enter jack Murray race on 31st march. Month of pain should be enough

once I know how to work my avatar my motto will be

" Adversity makes you stronger "

Keep training Mr Mac I"m not finished yet

To echo Charlie's sentiments, McBagel good luck to you. Check your bike thoroughly the night before, we don't want any mechanical malfunction tales of woe. Was disappointed I didn't get a ride but I'm less than happy now that I have read the basis upon which the field was made up. Will take this up with the organisers as I think I've been hard done too. Regardless you it for the Joansin see and do us proud.

M

Cheers guys looking to finish in top 60 don't know if technically this puts me one up in the series with Charlie as he had to withdraw it would be harsh to claim it but may keep it as a joker latter in the year

Gifford lovely circuit that's about the only thing positive I can say

This was hard from the start in a race at the back from the end of the first lap thanks to somebody nearly knocking me off the bike to make things worse it got windy especially on the back of the circuit at the climbs don't know where I finished but not last as I passed some riders think I would finish about 60 ish

Learning outcomes need to ride hills harder and increase pain thresholds also really need to get lighter or only race on flat tracks

Another thing I always start slowly and get better as it goes on how do I change that so I can start ready

Looking forward to the next doing

Billy, at least you gave it a go. Looking forward to hearing your full report tomorrow. You can never, never, never be too skinny/light. Well done regardless of placing. All just a learning curve mon ami. As for the hills, my view is the only way to get good at them is to do them hard and fast and ride over the top rather than roll through. Something for discussion. Can sympathise with you regards starting slowly and improving as the ride progresses. Proper and prolonged warm up, I often feel really sluggish for 10-15 miles before settling into a rythmn and like last weekend finished the run far morw comfortable and stronger than I was earlier in the day.

M

• 2024 Subscriptions
Gifford lovely circuit that's about the only thing positive I can say

This was hard from the start in a race at the back from the end of the first lap thanks to somebody nearly knocking me off the bike to make things worse it got windy especially on the back of the circuit at the climbs don't know where I finished but not last as I passed some riders think I would finish about 60 ish

Learning outcomes need to ride hills harder and increase pain thresholds also really need to get lighter or only race on flat tracks

Another thing I always start slowly and get better as it goes on how do I change that so I can start ready

Looking forward to the next doing

It is really important that you have a good warm up before the race Billy. As we get older this becomes even more important :smash

• Committee

You may wish to push yourself to the front at the start line to avoid being tangled up by someone who fails to clip in.

Suggest you really fight to stay in first third of the bunch. The back of a bunch can be 100m from the front and it is very difficult to make up places in a frantic start. Once you are off then game over.

You are plenty fit enough, just need to get some space, find a wheel and don't drift back too far.

Also get people to work with you by sounding as if you know what you're doing. Works for me.

I tell you Billy, you may not have asked for forum advice from all the dossers here, but you are certainly going to get it Hello, beer !!Hello, beer !!

Alan

Need all the advice I can get if you don't ask you don't get found myself another sneaky turbo art that might just get me the wee bit I need

Away if I can't RR I can always become a single cell organism and take up time trialling

• 2023 Subscriptions

Billy

My belief is that you need to warm up best part of 1 min for every year of age. So yes 40 mins plus for us more distinguished chaps. If you dont have 40 mins then do 15 mins with 5 full on 30 sec sprints to follow. So can be done in 20 mins.

The first 10 miles are typically the hardest so this stuff is important. Alan makes an excellent point - its worth going into the red during the first 10 to stay near the front - even though it might not feel like a good tactic. End of the day - very very few people can get back on after being dropped so might as well end yourself hanging in near the front and often times you come round and feel better. A lot of this is the mental approach.

so for what its worth ...

Oh ya dancer !