Saturday Hill Repeats

Guest EPCC

Hi not a club run but looking to start some hill repeats would prefer to have company when I suffer

Chosen hill is the paisley braes from the dam to the car park which is about 1 mile

Sessions would be

Repeat one easy gear medium cadence

Repeat 2 Big ring out the saddle all the way up

Repeat 3 combined small ring middle of the block

Repeat 4 Easy gear high cadence

Repeat 5 big ring out the saddle

Repeat 6 combined

Repeat 7 all you have left

Anybody want some post below

Given that I stay 30 seconds from this nonsense, I'm in.

I can assure you there is no way I'm getting up the braes

in the big ring though. Unless it's 53x53.

Is this starting this coming Saturday?

If so it'll have to be early as I have chores to do.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hi not a club run but looking to start some hill repeats would prefer to have company when I suffer

Chosen hill is the paisley braes from the dam to the car park which is about 1 mile

Sessions would be

Repeat one easy gear medium cadence

Repeat 2 Big ring out the saddle all the way up

Repeat 3 combined small ring middle of the block

Repeat 4 Easy gear high cadence

Repeat 5 big ring out the saddle

Repeat 6 combined

Repeat 7 all you have left

Anybody want some post below

This does not seem like the plans of a sane man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As J P McEnroe would say 'You CANNOT be serious'

Oh ya dancer !

Paul

It's the ramblings of a slightly more powerful man panicked by the thought of getting his powerful built body up an estimated 85 km of Italian hills

Who happens to have development needs in climbing

• Committee

Billy

Too much like hard work. Loads of time until Italy. The braes road is pretty busy and unpleasant.

I am going to combine a truncated bogs ride with some short but hard hills on much quieter, scenic roads. They might be better for uphill group pacework.

ie Finlaystone Hill, 85m climb over 1k, repeat until ill.

You would be welcome to join me. See related post.

Alan

Billy,

I was tempted to say I'd join you. However I keep returning to the thought that the hills we're going to be taking on in Italy are longer but less steep than the braes. My thoughts are you would perhaps be far better searching out climbs which are more akin to those rather than short sharp ones. The danger is you'll adapt to being able to climb for a mile but struggle after two or three. No use if you're taking on a 5 mile climb. At 10-12mph you'll do a mile climb in 5 or 6 mins, in Italy its conceivable you could be climbing for 30 mins or more. My view is you need to be aiming to replicate that effort and not a short one, and there is no way we'll be grinding our way up them - low gear and spinning.

I was considering doing mid week/Sat morning reps of the climb out of Kilbirnie towards Largs and what I know as the Swinlees Road, also the Brisbane Glen road or even the dalry side of the Fairlie moor none of which are particularly sharp but longish. I can think of only a handful of long climbs (2 miles or more) and most of them are not on our doorstep eg Dukes pass from the north side, Lochearnhead to Killen, Crow Road and the Rest.

M

It is actually a very cunning plan you do this for a few weeks it converts my gym strength work into bike strength work and the ability to suffer as its a repeat you just roll back down the hill and start again so you get 7 miles of pain at an average 6% i think

Which in turn equates to one or two of the longer italian climbs.

I have also had the absolute pleasure of climbing for two hours on the windy hill in France and i used this as a taster once i get some climbing ability will plan to move to other locations like the ones you and Alan have suggested. Wont be starting yet though still a bit crapy weather wise

Hi Guys, I've been following your training schedule and I know I'm not joining in all this training madness but I kinda agree with Mark and Allan. Why not try the hill from Lochwinnoch over to Kilmalcom or from Lochwinnoch up to Muirsheil visitors/info centre for the old mines, this 2nd route is at least 3 miles long and the climbs is only about 300m on a very quiet road.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul McD had mentioned the Lochwinnoch to Muirshiel climb to me last week.

Very handy for me and I can do it after work when the clocks change. I'm not contemplating any serious hill training for Italy until end of March - don't want to peak too soon!!

Another possibilty is Crow Road. I looked at my ordnance survey map and measured it at 3 miles at avergae climb of 5% - similar to Italy - we could pedal up and down it 9 times!!.

Iain

With racing and moaning wife I won't get out every week was hoping to swap about hill repeats hilly hard ride that sort of thing but short hour to two hours max

Guys,

I'm playing with the idea of a multiple figure of 8 to get some longish hills in for Italy. Something along the lines of Fairlie Moor road from Dalry side, then Haylie Brae over Largs road then down Swinlees Road up through Kilbirnie and do the hill out of Kilbirnie past the golf course back down the Swinlees Road to Dalry and then repeat. 6 decent climbs of an evening if done twice. Steady pace on climb but option to stretch legs on the flat bits.

Aiming this at the garnocksiders and Lochwinnoch mob given location as a mid week session but open invite as always.

M

Guys,

I'm playing with the idea of a multiple figure of 8 to get some longish hills in for Italy. Something along the lines of Fairlie Moor road from Dalry side, then Haylie Brae over Largs road then down Swinlees Road up through Kilbirnie and do the hill out of Kilbirnie past the golf course back down the Swinlees Road to Dalry and then repeat. 6 decent climbs of an evening if done twice. Steady pace on climb but option to stretch legs on the flat bits.

Aiming this at the garnocksiders and Lochwinnoch mob given location as a mid week session but open invite as always.

M

What's the mileage for one lap Marco?

So, the Swinlees Road is the road I know going out of Kilbirnie?

Bang on Hincapie! Swinlees Road starts at the right hand junction on the Largs-Kilbirnie road before you start the descent. Takes you out to the Kilbirnie-Dalry road between the Hagthorn hill and the Dalry Inn.

Ritchie, I have no idea what the exact mileage would be. A single loop would be around 24 miles by my reckoning and 3 decent climbs. Nearly 50 Miles and 6 climbs of a saturday morning, could even throw in a BB visit. This will do me for extra hill training in the evening pre Italy.

M