Washing tips

james-maclaren

Hi

Just thought I would try and get some tips on clothes washing :-? . Seems to me that cyclocross events are particularly muddy this year and I am having problems getting my washing clean! Whoever chose the club colours must have had a good washing machine! Ok, so a pre-soak is required. For this I use a large spoonfull of borax and soak the clothes for 24 hours before putting them into the washing machine at setting "D" that is a 40 degree wash for cottons/polycottons. Then I press the heavy soil button and switch on.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? ;-)

In desperation,

James

• Members

I use Vanish pre-wash soap bars on my kit. You chuck your gear in the sink, get it damp and rub the soap on directly. I find that most stubborn stains are gone after a couple of minutes' attention with the soap bar. You just wash the clothes on a normal cycle afterwards.

It definitely works on the sort of marks you get around pockets and cuffs; and on the tell-tale spray down the back of your jersey when you've been riding without mudguards. Whether it'll shift cyclocross-generated all-over muddiness, I'm no' sure.

Leave in damp sweaty smelly heap at foot of bed or if one is available a sports bag for long enough, 4 days usually does it, to mature to the point that even the dog shys away.

At this point continue to ignore building pressure and wait until offending bundle magically levitates its way to washing machine. These stages may involve adopting a sheepish look, numerous ear bashings and dodging of kitchen implements.

Check on 5th morning that congealed mass has in fact removed itself from scene.

Go about normal daily activities, smug grin optional.

Visit cycling kit drawer on Sunday morning to find kit in pristine condition, clean, folded and smelling fresh.

Await alarm to go off to wake you out of your dream state!!!!!

Another solution would be to give it a hose down when you are giving the bike a post race bit of TLC.

This gets a lot of the ingrained mud of and doesn't clog up the washing machine and gains some brownie points, sometimes results in visiting cycling kit drawer on Sunday morning to find kit in pristine condition, clean, folded and smelling fresh.

Thanks Richard that was really helpful, especially as they spelt "pre-wash" wrong! And it is difficult to find. I tried 3 supermarkets to no avail.

Thanks Mark for your amusing idea :lol:! and to Graham for your useful suggestion.

Anyone else wish to comment?

James

• 2023 Subscriptions

With three sets of CX kit to wash, up to 4 times a week, Pauline is now insisting we get a 'dirty' washing machine installed in the garage.

I think the plan is for no dirty kit to be allowed into the house at all...

We could always just get new club kit in manky brown colour for the CX section :!:

• 2023 Subscriptions
With three sets of CX kit to wash, up to 4 times a week, Pauline is now insisting we get a 'dirty' washing machine installed in the garage.

I think the plan is for no dirty kit to be allowed into the house at all...

We could always just get new club kit in manky brown colour for the CX section :!:

Martin,

is that you offering to do the washing for us all, top man Hello, beer !!

duncan

I use Vanish pre-wash soap bars on my kit. You chuck your gear in the sink, get it damp and rub the soap on directly. I find that most stubborn stains are gone after a couple of minutes' attention with the soap bar. You just wash the clothes on a normal cycle afterwards.

It definitely works on the sort of marks you get around pockets and cuffs; and on the tell-tale spray down the back of your jersey when you've been riding without mudguards. Whether it'll shift cyclocross-generated all-over muddiness, I'm no' sure.

Very impressed with the soap. Thanks Richard.