Vets national

Alan McLean

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee

Fight for 23rd-ish place (maybe)! Hooray!

Paul and I headed north in drizzle to lovely quiet little roads around Alford.

Two laps of a 32 mile circuit with a couple of decent climbs. Unhappy to see at least one first cat on the start sheet but the clue was in the race title.It's the BC NATIONAL VETS race, McLean, of course all the best riders will be there. Doh. :roll:

A decent break of eight or so went away at mile 20 and spent forty minutes cooking before being reeled in but the mighty Cusick and Kermode made their move and were soon out of sight.

On the second lap I got spat out on the second nasty climb at about mile 55. and had a solo TT to finish but overtaken by VC Glasgow South rider in the last mile. Not last, but certainly not in the main bunch.

Winner was John Kermode from Dundee, at least his second win. Congratulations. Oh ya dancer !Oh ya dancer !

My recent two hour races and training runs were completely insufficient preparation for this longer race.

Aberdeen joke: Fit like? Not me.

Full results and report from Paul to follow. I'm away for a lie down, assuming I can walk.

Alan

• 2023 Subscriptions

Indeed Alan

Usual hectic pace for the national, first 20 miles very much attack, regroup, attack, line out, regroup etc. Jim Cusick and John Kermode, 2 of the older hands got away after about 15 miles and stayed away to end - chapeau. I got dropped for about 50m on the main climb on the second lap after 40 miles and after unsucessful effort to get back on I rode back to finish as I was at end of rope! Alan continued with a splendid effort but met a similar fate later - good for him completing the course :grin:

c'est la vie - must do better next year

John won for the 3rd time, big Jim second, Jamie Kennedy was 3rd (team mate of Jim, 1st year vet who I considered a favourite) jumped out the bunch with 7 miles to go and closed a near 2 minute gap to 8 secs of winner on his own :shock:

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions
Sounds like a tough shift boys, well done Oh ya dancer ! Time for a well earned break, you must have at least a week before the winter training schedule starts :lol:

Naw naw. These two are both cross racers now. They'll surely be racing at Plean next week?