Arthur Campbell Super 6

Ramsay

• 2023 Subscriptions

Ramsay

Ben David and Barry will be racing. After last nights renfra bunch doing I fear that not long after start I will be a lonely timetrialler. Between Kilmacolm and Bridge of weir the bunch just pulled ahead of me. I was in my hardest gear and was spinning like Billyo( not like Billy Mac ). To be honest even on the flat of Westferry I found the pace hard and only just managed to hang on till the respite of the hill. I am now thinking that for " the flat " Eddie Morgan I should change from compact to a standard chainset. Advice appreciated Also thinking I should start a new series for category 5 riders as I am getting quite lonely watching the bunch disappear

• 2023 Subscriptions

Charlie

Just for info - I ride with a compact 50-34 chainset coupled with a 12-23 cassette. The biggest gear 50-12 is bigger than a 52-13 and I have never ran out of gears in a road race. My rationale for this set up is that the biggest gear is big enough for any RR in Scotland with the majority of races I do being able to be done entirely on big ring. The smallest gear is equivalent to 39-26 so caters for climbs in Spain and Koppenbergs etc :grin:

So maybe just need to change cassette

Oh ya dancer !

• 2023 Subscriptions

Charlie,

I use a standard chainset and I regularly run out of gears on the Kilmacolm to Bridge of Weir section! (I do usually ride on my winter bike which is only a 13t on the back, so not as high as 11t on race bike, but...).

There are some nights with the Renfrew Bunch that I find much harder/more intense than a lot of road races, so don't despair! Quite often it is because the Renfrew Bunch is a far smaller group than a race and therefore less opportunity to hide away! Also worth remembering that there are often guys out that will be 1st, 2nd & 3rd Cat, so they will all be racing in the A races anyway!

Enjoy the race at the weekend.

R

• 2023 Subscriptions

Bit of a hit and a miss today for the race. Weather was wonderful which is a positive I suppose. Race numbers was a bit of a laugh as somebody cant count which meant that I didnt get my numbers till the riders briefing so was a bit of a rush with no warm up. Thankfully others had the same problem which meant the start had to be postponed so that we didnt get caught by the A Race. Race was meant to be a nice 45miles but was infact 55miles but no biggie there. First lap was tough but not a real killer but one of the Joansin took a wrong turn which ended his race :oops: . The rest of us stayed to the front as much as possible and Barry and Ben seem to be quite good at this, Im not so good at this. On the 2nd lap I started to think about getting a break going but to much negative thinking made it impossible. I even went as far as to sit 40meters of the front of the bunch in an attempt to entice people to join me but it was to no avail. After the climb on the 3rd lap we started talking about trying to get away in a wee break with each other and it nearly worked. Coming into the tough uphill finish I had been boxed out and was working my way back to the front when there was a big crash in the middle of the bunch which brought down Ben and slowed me to a crawl, Barry avoided this crash but there was another crash about 100meters from the end which ruined his chance of a top 10.

Well done to all of us today as it was a hard day but were very active and I believe pretty unlucky not to walk away with more.

Im going to do the A race at the Billy Warnock so good luck to you guys in the B race.

Cheers David

• 2023 Subscriptions

well done to David Ben and barry. they were in the mix right till the end. My tale is slightly more tragic. started in my usual last position. We had about 3 miles to ride to start. Its called a neutralised zone. anyway we had a crash at the back during this which meant we had to make more of an effort to catch up before we had even started. Still not got the pace of this. 3 of us fell off early doors .One guy started going backwards and me and a guy from inverness worked together all the way to stewarton. yes we missed the turn off. I was for chucking it but he was keen to go on so we did.We doubled back and found the right road We were together till the second lap when he started to fade and i did the remainder on my own. At least this time there was someone at the finish. Not quite ready to hang up my bike but message to self " Must do better ". Not all wasted though as i provided sun screen for my club mates