Sunday 18th July

DavieB

Anybody interested in reprising the run which was proposed by Richard a couple of weeks ago - called off due to the Monsoon season. The route being ...to quote Richard:

Erskine Bridge > Drymen > Gartmore > Aberfoyle > Duke's Pass > Loch Venachar > Callander > Braes of Greenock > Gartmore > Drymen > Cycle Route 7 > Home.

I reckon that's about 77 miles bridge to bridge. There are some decent climbs in there; beautiful scenery, too. I've been on most of those roads at one time or another. The single track between Drymen and Gartmore would be new to me. I've included it because it would take us away from the traffic on the main road and it looks OK on Google Streetview.

Go for an earlier start 08:15 at club rooms - but stress somebody else (Richard?) would have to navigate.

• Members

I'm happy to navigate if people want to do the Loch Venachar run.

There would be some changes to the route, though. The road to Drymen is probably a bad idea for a big bunch of mixed ability. It's hilly and the traffic passes close and fast. I only included it as a means of getting to the hitherto unexplored single track to Gartmore.

But this is no longer an unknown entity. I checked it out with a pal last week. "Non-trivial" is the nicest way of describing the climb out of Drymen, and the road is strewn with gravel. We'd make faster, smoother progress by heading down the newly resurfaced A81. Yes, it's a busy road, too, but the traffic will have more room to go round us and the miles won't be as hard on the legs.

Post if you're game.

• Members

Mary, you dodged a bullet missing that ride, let me tell you. Jim came out to show us how it should be done (and that boozing and cycling are not compatible activities.)

The route changed a bit on the day:

Bridge > Hardgate > Milngavie > Strathblane > Duke's Pass > Loch Achray > Loch Venachar > Callander > Thornhill > Kippen > Top Of The World > Balfron > KIllearn > Strathblane > Milngavie.

Mr D led the way and Al, Davie, Ian and I tried to hang on. 87 miles for me door to door. I'm properly shattered. Have you got Garmin data for that one, Davie? I want to use statistics to confirm how brutal it was. :grin:

Special mention to Ian McGinty. He's looking strong - not just on the flat bits, mind. He strolled some of those hills.

Thanks, lads. See you next time.

• 2023 Subscriptions

Great day out in the Trossachs in mixed weather, with fine company to boot...

Not sure about strolling up any hills Richard, but if my climbing has improved i must thank my personal coach Colin Howard, oh, and my new compact chainset :oops:

Ian,

Glad those Tuesday/Thursday runs are paying dividends. You were certainly giving it some last Tuesday on our run.

33 degrees here in Alcudia at 1900 and at least 2 local bike shops within 100 yards of our hotel. If only I had brought my shoes pedals and helmet :-x:uzi:smash:rockets:angryfire

Colin Hello, beer !!