Blackwood Peebles 100

Dennis

Morag has asked me to find out how many people will be coming on Sunday, for the purpose of gauging the right amount of goodies. She insists that you will have to do the run to qualify. :grin:

So, for a latest headcount, can those who will be taking part in this run please post to confirm. The more the merrier!

Richard, I'm very sorry that you are not able to come on this run since the date was changed.

The weather forecast indicates that the wind will change to the west, and it will be a bit warmer, by the end of the week...

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

Hi guys,

This year's social ride will again bring together seasoned cyclists from Royal Albert and Johnstone Wheelers. It will tour the Clyde and Tweed Valleys, and we'll see some very attractive countryside and views.

This year, the route will be similar to the 2007 edition. Starting at Blackwood Hall at 9.30am, we'll make our way to Auchenheath, Kirkfieldbank, Byretown, Douglas Water, Crookboat, Carmichael, Tinto, Thankerton, Biggar, Broughton, Dreva, Stobo, Meldons, Eddleston, Peebles and will stop for lunch at The Hub Mountain Bike cafe at Glentress.

On the return journey, we'll cross the Tweed and take in Cardrona, Peebles, Cademuir Hill, Manor Water, Lyne, Stobo, Rachan Mill, Broughton (Cafe stop), Kilbucho, Coulter, Symmington, Wiston, Rigside, Happendon and Lesmahagow, before arriving back at Blackwood.

The significant climbs of the day will be at Kirkfieldbank, Dreva, Meldons, Kilbucho and Wiston, with one or two smaller ones in between.

Tea, coffee, soup, cakes and biccies will afterwards be laid on, as usual, at Blackwood. Hello, beer !!

There will be a few sections of tarmac which would be unrecognisable to the late Mr McAdam, so two spare tubes and at least 80% tyre pressures might be advisable... :cry:

See you on Sunday! 8-)

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions

Hope the snow and hail eases up for everyone on this jaunt!

I'll be driving some of the young team up to Dundee for a regional race school on the track this Sunday so can't join in.

Have a good one,

M

James,

The average speed is usually about 16/17mph, so you'll be fine. The whole aim of this annual run is to keep the group together, and for everyone to help each other to finish as freshly at the end as at the start. 8-)

Martin, sorry you can't make as I can still hear you shout 'wow' as we suddenly looked down on the Clyde Valley from a great height!

Bring the youngsters next year. By jove, when I was young, ...... :roll::grin:

Tony, thanks for offering to bring a rider over. Despite what Martin says, the hailstones will be warm. :lol: Actually, the weather is surely turning in our favour now.

Dennis

• 2023 Subscriptions

Well,

how were the hailstones?

We had warm weather further north. I managed a very fine (if lazy) 60 along the banks of the Tay today, while the youngsters did 5 hours on the Dundee track. (They certainly worked harder than me :lol: ).

Maybe get some of them along next year,

Martin

As others have said - many thanks indeed Dennis and Morag for a great day out in fine company. One indeed to come back for!

The farm by Auchenheath where I lived so many years ago is called Nethertown (Newkayes Road), the cottage (which has been extended since) is called (now) Netherwood. The day I drove nostagia down!

Many thanks again.

Iain

Just like to offer my thanks also to Morag and Dennis for an absolutely fantastic day. The route was superb and the company even better. Great to see a good sized bunch sweeping through gorgeous countryside on quiet roads. A classic ride.

As usual, Morag did us proud with a superb feast upon our return and believe me, food never tasted so good!

Thanks again guys. It was a wonderful day out.

Frank

Thanks for the great run, everyone, and Morag and I hope to see you next year too.

Report and pics on:

http://www.royal-albertcc.com/club-run-reports/

http://www.royal-albertcc.com/gallery/b ... -may-2010/

Please feel free to add your own memories at the bottom of the report...

Ian ©, I passed Nethertown cottage today on a bike run - great view from there and lots of hills about!

Dennis